Community discussions

MikroTik App

miker3000
just joined
Topic Author

first time using NetInstall, want to have factory reset, want latest firmware

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 pm

In NetInstall, I can see my MAC address router in the list using NetInstall GUI. The connection seems to be working. I'm directly connected with ethernet cat6 cable to MikroTik Hap ac2 router. I've got IP static set accordingly to user guide.

Every time I click "install" button on NetInstall GUI, I get error:
Cannot Install
No packages selected

I've downloaded the x86 and extra packages from Mikrotik website and extract them to a usb which I browse, to, but same error.

Also, I cannot connect to my router using WinBox 64-bit.

I've tried:
all_packages-x86-6.49.13
netinstall64-7.14.3
routeros-7.14.3 (the x86 download section)
routeros-7.14.3-tile
disabled Windows Defender firewalls, rebooted.
I'm trying to use NetInstall and configure my router from fresh, because I want to reset everything and update firmware.

1. Can I update the firmware in this process also? I'm ok with formatting Mikrotik.
2. Why isn't NetInstall recognizing any package to install?
3. Does router Hap ac2 support using NetInstall? I seem to be doing all the steps right.
4. Shouldn't WinBox connect, at least?

background:
My router was working all this past year, nothing changed, I just want to reset everything today.
Years ago, I remember connecting to my router, after reset by using web browser 192.168.88.1 and it worked, but I do not want to resort to that yet. I want to use NetInstall because, I read, NetInstall formats my Mikrotik router.

steps:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

Thank you. Mike
Last edited by miker3000 on Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

miker3000
just joined
Topic Author

Re: first time using NetInstall, want to have factory reset, want latest firmware

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:34 am

I suppose I pressed for 25 seconds, doing the Miktotik router reset. Each time. I'm used to doing some things overkill sometimes....whoops.

Later tonight, I somehow decided to look at the LED green light on the mikrotik router and unpressed once the blinking light finished, which was maybe 15 or 18 seconds.

Great News! WinBox is working. I think I can manage to finish the NetInstall steps.

Somehow pressing for more than 20 seconds, makes the Mikrotik reset start, but upon reboot, my old SSID wifi name was still active, or it was on this other desktop, or maybe that was SSID residue, which I thought for a moment, my phone saw as well. This is what made me think my "reset" process wasn't working. What's strange, is I didn't see my old SSID when doing work on my computer earlier today, connecting to Available Wifi, using phone hotspot. Unforunately, I'm not sure what happened, but this 15 or 18 or exactly 20 second, perhaps, like the videos describe, reset, seems to have gotten me to the next step.

miker3000
just joined
Topic Author

Re: first time using NetInstall, want to have factory reset, want latest firmware

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:04 am

More good news. NetInstall is finished with success. I decided to NOT use Windows IPv4 properties, No static 192.168.88.2 or No point NetInstall to 192.168.88.3. I pointed my NetInstall to whatever ipconfig told me my IP address was, using DOS windows cmd, ipconfig /all.

Maybe one new question, does upgrading and updating firmware using WinBox, do a "format" of the Mikrotik? WinBox method and NetInstall method seem to take same amount of time. (and how to mark this forum post as solved(?))

What worked for me:
my goal was to do this update offline, using a Windows desktop, only wired network adapter enabled, one Ethernet 3 ft cable and my Mikrotik pwr supply, the mikrotik router and a pen to hold down the reset button.

What tripped me up:
a. RouterBOARD seems to be like a name for any circuit board, any firmware, in any MikroTik device. My WinBox has a RouterBOARD section in System that has a version. This section helps me understand what my current firmware is.
b. My router was "working" before this endeavor, so I read the pdf user guide, ROS-110424-1714-56890.pdf, about page 78, and got the idea, to abandon using static IP and told NetInstall to use my actual windows desktop ip.
c. I had to go into WinBox and change my pwd back to nothing, blank space, because Mikrotik kept remembering this one pwd for like 30 minutes. Then NetInstall didn't show "sending"...and then do nothing. I know it worked at some point because WinBox asked me for a new password, after doing one of the, several, resets I tried. I cannot explain it.
d. I'm not sure if disabling firewall Windows Defender was needed, but it was disabled the entire time.
e. I guessed it x86 for Miktotik downloads website, but WinBox showing me my current Mikrotik settings and Youtube videos helped confirm what to download.

extra stuff to check if using NetInstall:
a. The very last step should include a password reset. Install Winbox on your PC and connect to your router, it should ask for a new pwd. The documentation, page 84, didn't really mention this, and says "You're done." But I had to change my pwd one final time.
b. Youtube videos helped me figure out RouterBOARD to check what my version is, and how to verify it using other ways.

PDF user guide
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/RouterOS that is 1500+ pages, but NetInstall is around page 73.
youtube - checking firmware https://youtu.be/oyK2D007JR4?si=BZCfGXq_lvdz6pWl
youtube - doing update with WinBox and checking things with WinBox - https://youtu.be/Qqzfa4oYQxc?si=IZNHQFgvfqAYDYTB

STMT
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:00 am

Please refer to the updated manual https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
For a manual update or reinstall the device, visit the products page at https://mikrotik.com/products to find your product. The required packages are accessible under the "Support&Downloads" menu.
hAP ac² https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2#fndtn-downloads

miker3000
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 6:06 am

I did another net install/format routerOS install. Finished successfully. I also applied default config and Win box can connect and I see a IP address 192.168.88.1 in Winbox and network column shows But I can’t get to 192.168.88.0

I still cannot get my win11 desktop to connect to internet.
Ipconfig /renew
Error occurred while renewing interface ethernet. Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

I think my desktop is not functioning right. I don’t recall changing anything.
Using chrome to 192.168.88.1
Unreachable. ERR_address_unreachable.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 02, 2024 9:09 am

Did you try any other device ? So you can see if that device connects to the internet ? Post your configuration, maybe there is something wrong... I know it's default configuration but who knows.. Netinstall can be flaky...

miker3000
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 pm

I have tried cell phone WiFi but it never sees the default mikrotik wifi, or there is not one setup. I created a said, but not visible to any WiFi device.

My win box keeps resetting and asking for Old/new password.

I think I installed the wrong routerOS. Also win box says the WiFi package failed and the zreiter package has no entry in win box. Perhaps the net install flaked out at the wireless pkg.

I’m pretty sure I wrote down my router board is type Arm. And this most recent net install I used the arm download.

If I do a Reset configuration from Winbox GUI, it seems to not ever reload the “default config.”

I tried a smart Tv with wired ethernet. It cannot get an IP from the mikrotik router. Same issue as desktop.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 03, 2024 6:27 am

Try again with netinstall, you have hAP ac2 and you are trying to install x86 ? hAP ac2 have arm processor so you should install that version.

Also my advice, install only base ROS and then add packages after verifying everything is working.

With 16MB of storage its possible you will run into space limitation.