Community discussions

MikroTik App

KpuCko
just joined
Topic Author

Why Mikrotik decided to get rid of their Power Lan devices

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 pm

Hi there,
I have use case for this, and so far I'm using https://mikrotik.com/product/RB931-2nD# ... ifications two access points.

Wondering are there any replacement for them? I noticed there was Power over LAN gigabyte power plug, but it is discontinued.
Do you know why? Isn't it reliable?

Does Mikrotik have a plan to bring back this line of devices?
Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Why Mikrotik decided to get rid of their Power Lan devices

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 pm

Do you mean powerline devices ( ethernet over electrical circuits) or do you mean wifi devices capable of POE powering other devices??

IF the former, then these are apparently good --> https://www.devolo.global/products

KpuCko
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:59 am

Do you mean powerline devices ( ethernet over electrical circuits) or do you mean wifi devices capable of POE powering other devices??

IF the former, then these are apparently good --> https://www.devolo.global/products
Yeah I mean "ethernet over electrical circuits". Do you have more info about them?

Never heard about "devolo", nor even interested in. There are tons of such devices in the market.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:43 pm

Never heard about "devolo", nor even interested in. There are tons of such devices in the market.
Just for the record/JFYI, besides "normal" power lan devices, devolo makes also a device that I have not seen by other manutacturers, a sort of central (three-phase) hub/injector that may offer some advantages, see:
viewtopic.php?p=1067647&hilit=devolo#p1067624
https://www.devolo.global/magic-2-lan-dinrail

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:20 pm

If that's true for one random vendor (devolo), why isn't it also true for another random vendor (mikrotik)?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:32 pm

Do you know why?

If you're asking for end-user guesswork, I'd say it's because the entire product category sucks, and MT decided they didn't want to play in the mud any more.

Does Mikrotik have a plan to bring back this line of devices?

Ask MikroTik. This is a user-to-user forum, not a channel for demanding definite answers from MT's product planning department.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 pm

I hear two tomato soup cans joined by twine, works well!

KpuCko
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:49 am

Ok guys, thanks for the replays.

Have a nice rest of the day!

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 am

in reality, I too have always wondered why this category of products was withdrawn from the market, products which I purchased 4 years ago or less and which continue to work perfectly. MK never released an official statement, I only became aware of this because I no longer saw any products on the official website. Ok, we agree that powerline products are not the best when it comes to designing a LAN but guys, in a domestic environment you honestly also need to look at cost and structural feasibility, many times it is not physically possible to bring an ethernet cable and honestly I think it is better a powerline-based LAN using MK products, or worse from other manufacturers, in wifi repeater mode. Honestly, sometimes I don't seriously understand the logic of MK, it seems that in the last two years they are also aiming at the domestic market (and I am personally very happy about this) but it should be understood that you have to simplify the life of a domestic user as much as possible. I repeat that I have a pair of 3 EU version powerlines in operation since 2020 with an AC2 and they are perfect, never a problem (sgrat sgrat :D)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm

Its a niche item, its has nothing to do with RoS and is best left to existing producers of stated products

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 pm

Its a niche item, its has nothing to do with RoS and is best left to existing producers of stated products
Why ?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 pm

There is no value added to go with MT in this case, and they have very little experience compared to companies like develo that have dedicated staff for these products.
If you dont believe me, thats okay but stop wasting time on speculation and write to mikrotik directly to get the answers you seek.