Community discussions

MikroTik App

kearin
just joined
Topic Author

I have no idea how to setup my Mikrotik router

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:15 pm

Hi,

I've bought the Mikrotik RB750Gr3 but after like 3 hours of figuring out how to set it up I gave up... I have literally no idea how this complex thing works...
Could somebody please help me out with the setup of the router? This is how everything is wired:
Image (https://pasteboard.co/9kq2dwmRbVrj.png)

The thing is that I need to setup the PPPoE with username/password and also add VLAN ID 848 otherwise it won't connect to the network. The router is connected to the DSL outlet via Zyxel VMG4005-B50A-EU01V1F DSL bridge that transfers the DSL connection to LAN. I plugged the LAN cable from the Zyxel into my Mikrotik port1. Using the Winbox I went to PPP menu, clicked on add new, in general I chose the ether1 interface and in Dial Out filled the Username and Password, but I need to add the VLAN ID that my ISP provided as well otherwise the router won't get IP adress assigned and it's not connected to the internet. How can I do that? Where to put the VLAN ID provided by ISP so that I'm able to connect to the internet?

Also I would like to have it setup like that:
The Mikrotik router would have local IP like 10.0.0.1
IP's 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, 10.0.0.24, 10.0.0.25 would be reserved for specific MAC adresss of some devices
DHCP would be 10.0.0.100-200 for everythig else that connects to the network
Where and how to set it up? I'm really lost and have no idea what to do. I've always had TP-Link router and it was easy to set it up but now... it gives me depression..

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I have no idea how to setup my Mikrotik router

Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:47 pm

/The road to MT heaven unfortunately takes a winding path through hell :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k6tFHDPUek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv5h5EtFN2s (with vlans)

Basically instead of the interface in the PPPOE client setting being ether1-wan, you select the vlan name assigned.
The vlan when defining it has interface of ether1-wan.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:14 pm

The basic settings should be:
/interface vlan
add interface=ether1 name=vlan848 vlan-id=848
/interface pppoe-client
add add-default-route=yes disabled=no interface=vlan848 max-mru=1492 max-mtu=1492 name=pppoe-out1 user=xxxx password=yyyy
/interface list member
add interface=pppoe-out1 list=WAN
and:
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface-list=WAN
But there may be more settings needed and/or other settings that need to be changed from the default ones, so you should try adding the above settings, then follow this:
viewtopic.php?t=203686#p1051720
and post your configuration (remember to replace the personal data such as user/ password with dummies).

kearin
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 am

Guys… you are my heroes!! I have no idea how but I’m connected to the internet now and it just works! The commands worked. I’ve also setup bridge for ether2-5 and setup a DHCP for that interface and everything is connected now. I don’t know how to thank you, but THANKS A LOT!!

Now I just have to understand what and how it was set up and dive into the Mikrotik world. Thank you so much again. I’m really grateful.

neki
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:28 am

You can also add IP address to ether1, that way you will be able to access the modem... Suppose it has it's default address 192.168.1.1
/ip address
add address=192.168.1.2/24 interface=ether1 network=192.168.1.0