Community discussions

MikroTik App

alve89
just joined
Topic Author

Site-to-site VPN within strange network  [SOLVED]

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:43 am

Hi guys,

since I am not allowed to establish a VPN connection from my business laptop to my home network, I thought of simply add my old router to run that task on hardware side. I tried to put the thoughts into a sketch:

Black lines are what I already achieved, red lines what I don't know how to implement.
08-04-2024_15-28-16.png
So in some words:
1. I already can connect via IKEv2-VPN from my private devices (iPhone etc.) to my home network
2. I already achieved to get an IP address for my router B from my businesses server
3. I already achieved to get an IP address for my laptop from router B
4. I already can connect both business network and internet

So everything good so far. What I now want to add is a VPN connection from router B to router A to have access to my home network (with all the components like Home Assistant and so on). I thought of either only enabling the VPN when using wlan2 (so wlan1 could remain to be used for business network access) or using a split VPN to both private and business network.

At this point I'm quite helpless and overwhelmed - could you please support me here and tell me - if this is possible - how to implement this?

Many thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johnson73
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Site-to-site VPN within strange network

Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:27 am

Wireguard couldn't be a solution? Haven't tried it? Maybe the information is useful.. https://gadgetmates.com/mikrotik-wireguard-vpn-setup

alve89
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:46 am

Wireguard couldn't be a solution?
As far as I know I'd need a client app (on my business laptop?) for this solution. This was my first thought but I can't install any applications because I don't have admin rights. Or am I wrong?

pimmie

Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:45 pm

It's never advisable to try to circumvent restrictions put by your employer on your business laptop, often this can be grounds for a discharge.

For many, many reasons it's best to just not use your business laptop for private stuff, and giving your diagram it seems you are even trying to pull this of within their office?! That's probably grounds for an immediate dismissal once they find out.

If you really need access go talk with your sysadmin and/or manager and convince them you have a need to tunnel to your home network.

alve89
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:59 pm

I appreciate your advice and bury my plans! :D