Community discussions

MikroTik App

yodaman
just joined
Topic Author

Getting dead spots and not sure why

Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:55 am

I need some help troubleshooting why I'm getting dead spots. I have my main router L009 and two hap ax lites. I'm in a ~3600sqft house(1800 up and down). The house in a rectangular shape and the L009 is in the garage main level and is in the middle of the house, but at the top of the rectangle. One hap is downstairs on the right side of the house and then the other hap is on the left side of the house on the main level.

The issues I'm seeing are multiple spots in the house where my device, phone, laptop, will have full wifi signal and I won't be able to access anything on the internet. I can move to another location and it will be fine. I think this has something to do with my configuration, but I don't know what exactly. I'm guessing my access points are too close together and are fighting over devices, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

I've had a similar post about this, and the suggestions helped in regard to signal strength, but now some spots of the house where I have full wifi coverage will basically be a deadspot.

Lastly, what kind of speeds should I expect on these types of devices, if setup correctly?

Other Post: viewtopic.php?t=203990

Moba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Getting dead spots and not sure why

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 am

You have multiple APs, that could be the first reason for coverage issues. Then, the walls and the materials inside them can also cause issues.

I would check the coverage/signal power with the main unit (the L009) across the house and add the hAP's only where needed to reduce interference. Usually, a single powerful unit is easier to set properly than a bunch of smaller ones, which is why those so-called mesh units are so popular these days. Things that can improve coverage include:

- proper channel selection
- proper band setting (2.4 travels better, but is much more subject to interference - you have no options with the devices you chose)
- proper positioning for best signal strength across the house
- height of AP in the room
- directional antenna (not possible with the hAPs)
- avoiding metallic structures/electronic devices in the signal path

UkRainUa

Re: Getting dead spots and not sure why

Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:27 am

"The issues I'm seeing are multiple spots in the house where my device, phone, laptop, will have full wifi signal and I won't be able to access anything on the internet."

Your device sees a strong signal from the router, but the device has a much weaker transmitter, so the question is what the router sees :)
Do not use 30dBm APs, provide areas of weak signal for roaming (worse than -70) between points, use only 1/6/11 channels, skip DFS channels if possible.
Make a map of the existing coverage starting only with the center point. Use free tools for planning, be sure to consider the thickness and material of the walls.
Do not use old 802.11 b/g if it's possible, WPS, TKIP etc.
Be sure to make a bridge (vlan) for each ssid. You can use different authentication types in different ssid (WPA2 for old devices) and ACL for sticky clients.