Community discussions

MikroTik App

SME
just joined
Topic Author

hAP Reset After Power Outage and Don't Reconnect

Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:57 am

Hey folks,
Sorry if the answer is in here somewhere, but my searching skills aren't up to it. I have a hAP S router and three hAP Lite RB941-2nd-tc. I used to have a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN, but it couldn't handle any decent throughput.

Problem: After a power outage and then power restoration, the 3 hAP Lite will not reconnect to the CAPsMAN setup. All 3 are hard wired, and I am able to use wired internet through 1 of them. Otherwise I connect to my SSID without internet (the configuration seems to be in there somewhere).

Workaround: Turn off all three, CAPsMAN reset each one in turn multiple times. My theory is that one of them has a CAPsMAN manager config and takes over, even though it doesn't know where to go.

I'm going to describe out I set this up, because I think that may be where the problem is.
1. I setup a hAP Lite as a router. Played around with it to make sure I knew what I was doing. Can't remember which one that was.
2. Setup RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN as a router and excluded the previous hAP until the last. I think some issues started here, but I might be mis-remembering.
3. Ditched the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN once I discovered it was the bottleneck and installed the hAP S.
4. Reset all hAP Lite, and it took several gos for it to work.

I'm going to connect to each hAP Lite to see if any has a manager config. Not sure how to completely reset it beyond what I've done (hold down button on boot).

Does anyone have direction for me at this point? I'm hoping someone has come across the 'sticky' hAP Lite and can give me direction to get them to look for my real CAPsMAN.

I can upload my setup, but a factory reset of the hAP S and rebuild (very simple and without my config) showed same issue.

EDIT: I had a 4th hAP Lite lying around and replaced the one that actually wasn't providing wired connection. Everything re-connected fine.

So the question is how to I reset the hAP Lite so it doesn't think it's a manager (I've reset both full from the button and to register it to the real CAPsMAN)?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP Reset After Power Outage and Don't Reconnect

Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:14 am

One of possible outcomes of using reset button is configuration reset to factory defaults (which doesn't include CAPsMAN). Another one is to put device into CAP mode.

You can do that also via any of UIs (I'd suggest you winbox as it allows connection even if device doesn't have usable IP setup).

SME
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hAP Reset After Power Outage and Don't Reconnect

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:53 am

One of possible outcomes of using reset button is configuration reset to factory defaults (which doesn't include CAPsMAN). Another one is to put device into CAP mode.

You can do that also via any of UIs (I'd suggest you winbox as it allows connection even if device doesn't have usable IP setup).
That's what I've been doing - setting them into CAP mode with the reset button. They continue to lose their collective minds.