Community discussions

MikroTik App

igorr29
Topic Author

bridge vlan across a routed network

Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:56 pm

guys please help me a bit, i have to add a voip line to a remote office.
i have my office network with mixed ports (vlan 500 tagged for voip, untagged vlan for everything else). all phones in the office are on a tagged vlan. on that network i have a hex that is routing traffic for an outside location, then on the other end i have a HAP.
i need to pass this vlan 500 across the network to the remote location.
voip phone on the remote location can have a dedicated ethernet port on the HAP.
can i make a, let's say, vlan 501 on the "remote" subnet on that lan bridge, vlan 500 on the hex on "local" lan bridge, and then make a bridge with vlan 500 and vlan 501 together?

i don't see another option to bridge that specific port with my local network.
thanks

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: bridge vlan across a routed network

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:17 pm

You can't bridge L2 networks (that's what VALNs are) over L3 (IP) just like that. You need some L2 tunnel, running on top of L3 ... in MT world (both routers are MT according to your description) that's EIOP. Beware that EOIP alone doesn't encrypt traffic, so you may want to run EIOP on top of IPsec (the later does encryption). Any other encrypted tunnel instead of IPsec would do the trick (e.g. wireguard), but judging on the equipment you're mentioning I gather that using IPsec would be the most feasible solution. If the inter-site communication is already secured, then you don't have to do anything special for your EOIP tunnel.

It is possible that you can't just "invent" VLAN ID on remote side, VoIP phones likely depend on a particular VLAN ID (500). But his isn't a problem, you will use EOIP to spread VLAN 500 network on both sides.

igorr29
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:23 am

thanks
the network is mine, i can do and change everything needed to get this to work, voip phones can be on any vlan i set up (i mean, on remote location - the local voip pbx is fixed on vlan 500).
i was thinking more in a way to make a vlan 501 from hex to hap , and then bridge vlan 500 and vlan 501. on the hap i'd have 1 trunk port, and 1 port for phone with vlan501 tagged.
on the hex i'd have 1 port with only vlan500 (another cable from switch to hex) , put vlan501 on lan bridge (going TO the remote location) and then bridge 500 and 501.

if not, can you share a tutorial for eiop linking? eiop link should link eth1 (uplink port) on hex to eth 4 on hap.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:16 am

You want to use EOIP to bridge vlan500 interface on HQ mikrotik and whatever vlan interface (can be 500 as well, I don't see a reason to have it different) on branch office mikrotik.