irrwitzer
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF "sequence mismatch" after HA-Failover of neighbor

Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:57 pm

Hi guys,
It's once again me with a very specific issue:

Setup:
- two routers (80-gw01/2) (RouterOS 7.12.1, independent config, no vrrp)
- two firewalls (80-fw01/2) (HA-config, one configuration on cluster of two, active-passive)
- switchstack (80-csw)

connections (see attached diagram):
- lacp/bonding gw<>gw
- lacp/bonding gw01<>fw01
- lacp/bonding g02<>fw02
- ha-links fw01<>fw02
- lacp/bonding gw01/2 <> csw

ospf config:
/routing ospf interface-template
add area=backbonev4 disabled=no interfaces=bonding_cluster use-bfd=yes
add area=backbonev4 cost=10 disabled=no interfaces=bonding_fw use-bfd=no
add area=backbonev4 cost=100 disabled=no interfaces=vlan2 use-bfd=no
Summarized:
Primary router and primary firewall see each other over direct bonding_fw and over switched vlan2.

Now, in case of firewall updates, we need to switch from primary to backup.
During this, the primary firewall shortly kills it's ethernet connections, but they will come up again.
After the switch to the backup firewall took over, the OSPF session to primary fw stays dead (as it is functionally dead at this point).
The backup firewall is now the master and the only connection to the primary router is via the vlan2 (which is by design and well).

Unfortunately, since the router-id of the backup firewall is the same and the ip-address on vlan2 interface is the same, gw01 thinks it's the same router and it can continue where it was before, but it's not. It's an other peer, not knowing the OSPF state of before, and as such:
11:15:21 route,ospf,info ospfv4 { version: 2 router-id: 1.1.1.1 } backbonev4 { 0.0.0.0 } interface { broadcast 1.2.3.4%vlan2 } neighbor { router-id: 5.5.5.5 state: ExStart } state change to Exchange
 11:15:21 route,ospf,info ospfv4 { version: 2 router-id: 1.1.1.1 } backbonev4 { 0.0.0.0 } interface { broadcast 1.2.3.4%vlan2 } neighbor { router-id: 5.5.5.5state: Exchange } exchange lsdb size 105
 11:15:21 route,ospf,info ospfv4 { version: 2 router-id: 1.1.1.1 } backbonev4 { 0.0.0.0 } interface { broadcast 1.2.3.4%vlan2 } neighbor { router-id: 5.5.5.5 state: Exchange } sequence mismatch
 11:15:21 route,ospf,info ospfv4 { version: 2 router-id: 1.1.1.1 } backbonev4 { 0.0.0.0 } interface { broadcast 1.2.3.4%vlan2 } neighbor { router-id: 5.5.5.5 state: Exchange } state change to ExStart
 11:15:26 route,ospf,info ospfv4 { version: 2 router-id: 1.1.1.1 } backbonev4 { 0.0.0.0 } interface { broadcast 1.2.3.4%vlan2 } neighbor { router-id: 5.5.5.5 state: ExStart } negotiation done

Router-id of gw01: 1.1.1.1
Router-id of fw-cluster: 5.5.5.5
ip of fw in vlan2: 1.2.3.4

So, what can I do here to fix this issue? I can fix it manually by temporarily disabling the OSPF interface-template for vlan2, then reenabling it - but manual interaction defeats the dynamic and redundant approach.
I don't see any additional timers to configure and I can't use BFG, because this particular firewall doesn't support it - although I'm quite sure it wouldn't even help.

Any ideas my friends?

Thank you so much,

Irrwitzer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

irrwitzer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: OSPF "sequence mismatch" after HA-Failover of neighbor

Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:00 am

Lacking any responses here, I'll add additional information I dug up that might, but don't have to point in the direction of my problem.
If anybody of you has more insight to share, I'd gladly appreciate it ;-)

The firewall cluster is a palo alto one. according to this topic: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/ge ... d-p/544038
failover *might* be quicker, after disabling Graceful Restart on the PA side. related articles linked from this post:
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-o ... 9338c9af7d
https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks. ... 000Cm5ZCAS

The best solution would have been to enable graceful restart on the mikrotik side, but unfortunately this feature is still missing since 6 years now:
viewtopic.php?t=139884
viewtopic.php?t=197128

So, if anybody could tell, if disabling the feature on the PA side will let the OSPF failover work / speed up the failover, that would be lovely.
Otherwise I'll try it out ASAP.

BR,
Irrwitzer

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: OSPF "sequence mismatch" after HA-Failover of neighbor

Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:36 pm

v7 is plagued with sequence mismatch errors. We have it on almost all our v7 routers, comes and goes at free will.

In our case at least, it hasn't impacted routing. Just an annoying log entry.