Community discussions

MikroTik App

goodbye
Topic Author

7.13+, 800.11ac WiFi & CAPSMAN Scan-list and rescan-interval

Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:38 pm

Hiya!

A bit of background to help understand where I'm coming from with this post, I've installed and operated legacy wireless/CAPSMAN, with multiple vlans/SSIDs, deployments for many years; this is has been my first real foray into wifiwave2->7.13+wifi. It has been quite the experience to say the least!

I've recently had the very urgent "opportunity" deploy a new small office environment for a handful of users of different roles with varying client device classes.
The CAPs that I've got available to distribute across the facility are three (3) Audiences. All three are physically wired to a managed switching infrastructure via 1Gbe links.
This is a shared building with both another managed wireless infrastructure with which I must make this coexist, that isn't exactly built/managed by masters of their craft, as well as the random occasional portable 4g/5g hotspot device.

Note: I'm not going to go off on a rant as to how "terrible" this overall expeirience has been using the wifi-qcom-ac drivers with no vlan support, needing to manually configure multiple virtual APs and manually adding them to manually configured switch ports on all the CAPs. It looks like most of that is "fixed" with the ax-class drivers, but what about all the existing hardware!? /notarant

The only questions/uncertainty/annoyance that I haven't been able to suss out from the documentation, the existing forum posts that I've found, and some good ol' fashioned "science," is regarding automatic frequency/channel selection. Since the wireless system that I/we don't control is using automatic frequency selection for all of their managed APs and they have no intent to change that, a well surveyed and curated channel plan is not meaningful in this case.
After a managed wifi-qcom-ac CAP does its initial automatic channel selection on startup, does it ever periodically re-scan for competing APs for re-selection purposes? I haven't seen any options to control such behavior in any way, and I've very much observed that two managed CAPs are very happy to auto-select the same frequency/channel when started at the same time, and that they don't ever seem to move on their own even after hours. When I stagger the startup of the radios, they do select sensibly non-conflicting channels.

Sooo.... are they supposed to rescan like they used to? If they are, what might I have missed?

Thank you for any insight that you can provide!

Regards,
me