Community discussions

MikroTik App

gwinon
just joined
Topic Author

from network to network without a gateway

Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:20 pm

Hello
I have a network with VLAN, I want the computer from network A to network B within the same switch to connect not through the gateway, but directly.
Can you give me an example/screenshot of such a configuration in SWOS.
My machine is CSS326-24G-2S+RM.
Thank you

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: from network to network without a gateway

Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:12 am

The idea of having multiple (V)LANs is to separate devices in different subnets from each other on layer 2 (ethernet/VLAN). If some devices still have to communicate, then gateway (L3 ... IP router) is a must.

So the obvious interpretation of your post means that you're trying to go against the whole idea of having multiple (V)LANs. And can not be done simply using a switch.

But you may explain your functional requirements in plain English and you might get a usable advice here.

F1Geir
just joined

Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:30 pm

Hi
To let two network communicate without going through a router,
you need a level3 switch.
They normally cost more than normal switches.
Cisco have good level3 switches.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:03 pm

To let two network communicate without going through a router,
you need a level3 switch.
L3 switch is a router by definition ... because it acts as a router in a sense that devices explicitly use it as a gateway. It may not support all the routing bells and whistles (e.g. routing protocols), but still they are acting as gateways.

spippan

Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:22 pm

i reckon OP might need some help to configure INTER-VLAN ROUTING on his switch maybe
i do not know if a CSS could do that. on a CRS326 it is absolutely possible and i also installed a setup at a friends home with his CRS326
but it is not q point-and-click beginner easy setup if one does not understand vlans, routeros bridge setups on marvell chipsets and for convenience, dhcp-relay setup from switch to dhcp-server (possibly the gateway/router)