Community discussions

MikroTik App

zarade1
just joined
Topic Author

ROS 7.11 BGP Routereflector Redundancy

Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:11 pm

Hello MikroTik Community,

I have successfully configured a Route Reflector in my network for iBGP route propagation. My current setup is functioning as expected, but I'm now trying to add a second RR for Redundancy

Objective: I aim to have this secondary RR act as a failover, beginning to advertise routes to its peers only in the event that the primary RR fails. My key requirement is to minimize the downtime in case of the primary RR's failure.

Is there a method for the backup RR to dynamically learn routes from the primary RR, which would ensure it has an up-to-date routing table ready for use in a failover scenario.
Is there a automatic method for the backup RR to start advertising routes upon detecting the primary RR's failure? Is there a built-in feature or would it require custom scripting?

Examples configurations that could achieve this would be highly appreciated.
If scripting is required, I would be grateful for guidance or references to relevant resources or examples.

Thanks alot for your help,
zarade

miasharmse84
just joined

Re: ROS 7.11 BGP Routereflector Redundancy

Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:52 pm

Hi Zarade,

The best solution is to have all the IBGP routers on your network establish two bgp sessions (i.e. one session to each route reflector). In this way both route reflectors will always have all routes available, and no scripting is required.