MikroTik App

dakobg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

ros 7.13.* and zerotier and wireless pkg's

Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I upgrade cAP ac to 7.13.1 however in order to do that I remove zerotier pkg (no space) .. after upgrade look like no more zerotier for cAC_ac (no space !!)

I think the only option is to remove "wireless" pkg but I'm not sure if cAP_ac can work wti "wifi" ?
Any idea what will be the result if I remove the "wireless" pkg ?

I can see no configuration under "wifi" also no wifi interfaces !!! so
1. If I remove "wireless" pkg .. all my currecnt configuration will magically transfer under "wifi" menu ?
2. if point 1 is not true (I believe is not) .. then if I pre configure everything under "wifi" and remove "wireless" pkg ... ?? it will start to work ?? how to set the new config per interface when I not see them ?
3. if point 2 is complicated ... over all .. Can I remove "wireless"pkg and configure "wifi" manually after that .. when I remove the pkg .. the wifi interface are added automatically to "wifi" ?!?!?!?

My problem is .. this cAP_ac is on remote site and don't want to experiment

Regards,
Last edited by tangent on Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: package name spelling fix

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: ros 7.13.* and zerotire and wireless pkg's

Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:07 pm

With ROS 7.13 wave2 basic functionality was added to the main package, everything related to legacy wifi was moved to a new wireless package.

But cAP AC under 7.13 needs at least some wifi package for wifi to work.
Wireless for legacy wifi (=wifi4/5)
wifi-qcom-ac for wave2 wifi (yes, wifi6 on cAP AC !!)

Since cAP AC has a limited storage space and since ROS 7.13 is a bit bigger then it's predecessor (from point of view of cAP AC), space becomes really a problem.

Unless you need wave2 capabilities, it might be better to downgrade again to 7.12.1 and sit the ride out until a version comes out unbundling the main ros package (e.g. making everything routing related optional) so space becomes available again.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:12 pm

You might want to consider using Wireguard (instead of Zerotier) as an alternative VPN solution. It is already available in the default package.

Are you using the cAP ac as router or is there anything in front (as router) of that can also do VPN?

dakobg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: ros 7.13.* and zertotier and wireless pkg's

Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:05 pm

cAP AC is a main router .. I never ever need additional for this location
I have a reason to use zertotier, any other solution is not a issues but the question is why I should change something which was working for me :(

Probably I must upgrade to cAP ax :|
Last edited by tangent on Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: package name spelling fix

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:11 pm

I have a reason to use zertotire, any other solution is not a issues but the question is why I should change something which was working for me :(
All clear and well but you decided to upgrade to 7.13, no ?
I certainly hope you did not use some auto-update script on your device ?

It was not needed to upgrade.
You could have kept everything on 7.12 if zerotier is a necessity for you on that device.

Or use wireguard as alternative ?

And yes, cAP AX is the logical next step (would it be such a big problem ?).

dakobg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: ros 7.13.* and zerotire and wireless pkg's  [SOLVED]

Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:25 am

No issues at all, the biggest problem is I must go on place and replace it :D .. Very sad for the old cap ac I was very happy with it.
for zerotire vs wiregurad same as zerotire vs ovpn .. :) nothing against any solution just zerotire is my choice for all other locations also provide "sort of" sdwan etc.

Regads,
Last edited by holvoetn on Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need to quote complete preceding post

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:32 am

Wireguard and EOIP on top of it can also help you to build some sort of SDWAN.
And then you can keep that cAP AC.
I use that WG/EOIP combo for ROMON purposes. Most devices via MPLS, a bit via EOIP over Wireguard, a couple via zerotier.
But everything visible from one central router and that's what I need.
You can use that EOIP also via bridge to "bridge" networks and create your SDWAN that way.
Just saying.

IMHO a good application setup needs to focus on the end goal, not on the underlying carrier.

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: ros 7.13.* and zerotier and wireless pkg's

Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:02 pm

The thanks go to MT. They bundled all device firmware in a single wifi-qcom-ac package. Now forum and possibly support ticket systems get all these "no disk space left help help but before I had plenty of it!!!!" complaints. MT opened the can of pandora with 7.13. They had the free choice to get it right, but now it's harder to fix.