MikroTik App

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

running old and (wifi) capsman on the same device

Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:48 am

Hi,

hopefully the subject is pretty clear and someone (maybe even from MT) could reply and give some clear hints.

Everything I read and saw about 7.13 explains that legacy capsman and wifi/wave2 capsman can run in parallel (on the same device).
Some others reported issues and I'm also running into roadblocks (viewtopic.php?t=202640).

So the "simple" question for this thread:

What is required and/or needs to be respected if one device should be used to serve old and new capsman?
Apparently this is not clear and I only can find people reporting issues but no success.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: running old and (wifi) capsman on the same device

Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:53 pm

You need base routeros (which now default carries wave2 wifi drivers) and wireless package installed on the device acting as controller for legacy and wave2 caps.
On that device you will loose local wifi radio capability (can't have both wifi-packages together AND control a local radio).

Capsman part needs to be setup twice, once for legacy wifi under wireless / capsman.
Once under wifi structure for wave2 capable radios (with configuration, provisioning, remote cap, ...).

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:34 am

I have routeros and wireless on the RB4011. I do not plan to switch to wave2 because I don't want to lose 2GHz.
So I already have both capsman versions available as you describe and I don't get it to work. The problem I'm running into is described in the linked thread. This thread here is separate because I hope someone may be able to explain how it is supposed to work opposed to explain what I need to do to "fix" my issue.

netispguy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:52 am

I'd like to know also!

I have a legacy network with 9 ap's controlled by wireless>CAPsMAN on an RB4011 with no network interfaces, and about 68 active devices. I just received some hAp-ax^2 and they are not compatible with the current CAPsMAN. I tried to setup the wave2 CAPsMan via wifi>Remote CAp> CAPsMAN and it interfered with the running legacy CAPsMAN. I had to quickly backoff.

I have not had time to diagnose, but I am thinking maybe putting the new CAPsMAN on a different subnet or isolate via VLAN... ???

Can't we all just get along....???

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 am

I have routeros and wireless on the RB4011. I do not plan to switch to wave2 because I don't want to lose 2GHz.
So I already have both capsman versions available as you describe and I don't get it to work. The problem I'm running into is described in the linked thread. This thread here is separate because I hope someone may be able to explain how it is supposed to work opposed to explain what I need to do to "fix" my issue.
Check this post from strods.
If you already had capsman and certificates, all CM-certificates need to be remade first when you want to use both capsman-versions.
viewtopic.php?t=201465#p1036222

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:44 pm

I have two distinct sets of certificates so not an issue according to strods' post.
Next I will do is opening a support ticket because there might be a bug.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:56 pm

If you already had certificates before installing wave 2 part, you need to make them new.
That's what the post says.

It doesn't hurt to remove them and make new ones.

And then make your ticket.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:30 pm

Hmm, that makes no sense. I only upgraded to the released 7.13 version where wifi capsman already was implemented to create differently named certificates. So the post does not apply. I won't delete and recreate just because as it will definitely hurt because I have caps connected to the existing (legacy) capsman.

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:27 pm

Did you manage to have both capsman running ? For me when I enable wifi capsman, radios of the wireless capsman disappear.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:17 am

No sorry, I gave up and configured my capsman-local interfaces just locally instead. That's not really a disadvantage for my exact case.

(And next is to turn off the wifi interfaces of the RB4011 capsman and add another AX device to the location because roaming experience between the capsman2 network and the RB4011 interfaces is horrible. :-()

sjmudd
just joined

Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:21 am

i’ve also bumped into this and find the docs confusing. please improve them to be more explicit.
I wasn’t aware that you can’t have local cap on capsman with wifi.thats unfortunate as I already do that. implies I now need 2 capsman to manage the caps.
I run only one new hap ax2 and can’t get layer3 connectivity to work to the crs125-24g-1s-2hnd-in I have. this is managing about 4 other caps using older capsman.
so sounds like I need to let up 2 capsman on different routers or upgrade my routers which is money I may spend over time but not immediately.

logging is really good especially with failure so improvement would be good.
running v7.14.2

new wifi config is confusing. an example with layer3 connectivity using remote forwarding and multiple SSID in different VLANs on the same bridge would be good. this is what I have for old capsman and stuck and confused especially related to datapath configuration on new wifi capsman setup.

anovojr
just joined

Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am

From what I've gathered, making sure your configurations align is key. That means checking things like firmware versions, CAP interfaces, and any potential conflicts in settings.