Community discussions

MikroTik App

markonen
Topic Author

BGP connections not appearing in sessions

Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:56 pm

I have a CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS running RouterOS 7.13 with 20 BGP peers running.

Today I added two new ebgp connections (to bring the total to 22), and they just don't appear in "/routing bgp session" at all. I mean, the issue is not that the sessions aren't up, but that nothing appears in the menu at all. It's as if I hadn't configured them in the first place.

- these use the same template as other, working sessions. Only the template name, ebgp role, remote IP and ASN is configured for the connections.
- the remote end is pingable and not multihop
- there are no Firewall rules
- reboot doesn't help
- nothing appears in the logs about these connections in "bgp" logging, only the "system, info" log lines about me changing the configuration
- /routing/stats/process/ shows 31 processes, so I thought that perhaps I had hit some kind of a limit. My configuration does not specify any affinities, but I tried one that consolidated things a bit (into 23 processes) — no help.

The relevant config is just:
/routing bgp template
add address-families=ip as=<my asn> comment="Peering v4" disabled=no input.filter=peering_in_v4 name=peering-v4 output.filter-chain=edge_out_v4 .remove-private-as=yes router-id=<my router id> routing-table=main
add address-families=ipv6 as=<my asn> comment="Peering v6" disabled=no input.filter=peering_in_v6 name=peering-v6 output.filter-chain=edge_out_v6 .remove-private-as=yes router-id=<my router id> routing-table=main

/routing bgp connection
add disabled=no local.role=ebgp name=<peer name>-v4 remote.address=<peer ip> .as=<peer asn> templates=peering-v4
add disabled=no local.role=ebgp name=<peer name>-v6 remote.address=<peer ip> .as=<peer asn> templates=peering-v6
Where would you look next?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: BGP connections not appearing in sessions

Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:07 pm

You have not reached any limits. Check packet sniffer to see if what you have configured actually matches incoming connection.

markonen
Topic Author

Re: BGP connections not appearing in sessions

Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:19 pm

Thank you, packet sniffer indeed showed connection attempts from my end. So I double checked the config and saw that I was missing a MD5 key... :D

Recapping why I ended up writing to the forum about such a simple config error:
- I remembered seeing even non-established connections in the Session menu, so I expected this to appear there almost no matter what
- Absolutely nothing in the logs, not even on the bgp debug level. (Possibly there was something on the packet level but I can't keep that firehose on)

Thanks again!