Community discussions

MikroTik App

frittentheke
Topic Author

Using DHCP option 97 (UUID) value for static DHCP leases? Via generic matcher?

Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:02 pm

I would like, instead of a MAC address, use the DHCP option 97 (https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4578.html#section-2.3) to configure out static leases.
This UUID MUST be sent by every PXE DHCP client and promises to make the lease independent from the interface mac address by using a single UUID for the whole machine - no matter which network interface is used.

1) Looking at the fairly new "generic matcher" (https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... ricmatcher) it's possible to match every DHCP option with a value.
But it seems the only actions are to

a) apply a configured option set to the response
b) use a certain pool to give out addresses from

but in my case I would require a 1 to 1 mapping of a Client Machine Identifier (the DHCP option 97) to an IP address.

2) The leases table does allow, apart from the mac-address to use the client-id to match a request to a static lease.
So allowing to "generically" match any option and it's value seems all that's missing.

Does anybody have any more insights into what is currently possible with RouterOS >= 7.12

frittentheke
Topic Author

Re: Using DHCP option 97 (UUID) value for static DHCP leases? Via generic matcher?

Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:14 pm

*BUMP*

is there nobody else looking into using other DHCP options instead of MAC addresses to map to static leases?

Al4nw31
just joined

Re: Using DHCP option 97 (UUID) value for static DHCP leases? Via generic matcher?

Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:33 am

From my research, option 97 is only required for PXE clients. You may or may not get Option 97 on other clients.