Community discussions

MikroTik App

zervan
Topic Author

own CA certificates not importing in RouterOS 7

Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:27 am

Hello, I have been still using RouterOS 6 on important routers. I am using my own root CA (imported on all computers and devices in organization) and some intermediary CAs without any issues in RouterOS 6. Now I tried to import my CA to RouterOS 7.8 (and some older RouterOS 7.7, 7.6, 7.5), but it is not importing - not saying anything, neither in log with debug enabled. Could somebody check, what's wrong? Here is one of my CAs in the attachment - this one is used just for my students.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zervan
Topic Author

CA certificates with critical nameConstraints not importing in RouterOS 7

Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:57 am

Well, I have isolated the problem - RouterOS 7 is not accepting CA certificates with nameConstraints property, if this property is marked as critical.
See the attachments - critical file cannot be imported. Why? Is it a bug?

You can play with generation in a Linux machine:
openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout CA.key -utf8 -subj "/CN=test CA" -out CA.csr
# set password 
echo -e "subjectKeyIdentifier=hash\nbasicConstraints=critical,CA:true,pathlen:0\nkeyUsage=critical,digitalSignature,keyCertSign\nnameConstraints=critical,permitted;DNS:my.test" > CA.ext
openssl x509 -req -days 1461 -in CA.csr -extfile CA.ext -signkey CA.key -out CA.crt
# put password 
rm CA.csr CA.ext
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zervan
Topic Author

Re: own CA certificates not importing in RouterOS 7

Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:38 pm

This bug is fixed now in RouterOS 7.11 (https://mikrotik.com/download/changelog ... 5f6795bbd4).

DNAT
just joined

Re: own CA certificates not importing in RouterOS 7

Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm

Thanks man, you saved my day!

Regards, DNAT