Community discussions

MikroTik App

maxtik2
just joined
Topic Author

Auto connect to different SSIDs

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:42 am

Hello together,

I want to give my MikroTik something like a list with different SSIDs and PreSharedKeys so it automatically connects to an available SSID of my list, for example while driving around.
Is there a possibility for this?

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Auto connect to different SSIDs  [SOLVED]

Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 am

Yes, sure.
Connect list is exactly what you are looking for:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... nnect_List

maxtik2
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Auto connect to different SSIDs

Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks a lot!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Very interesting. Used to use my mAP Lite to connect to free-wifi's in different places, and adding a VPN in the mAP Lite to my "home" network, and being an AP for my tablet and smartphone, etc.

Problem so far was the selection of the free-wifi to be done beforehand through either the previous connection or via the ethernet cable. Because as long as the mAP radio had no connection, there is no mAP based AP.

But if the connect-list allows just to try the whole list of known free-wifi, and one of these is even my own smartphone hotspot, then I would always have the possibility to connect via wifi to the mAP Lite with my repeater+VPN config still in place and active.
(The other workaround was doing a config reset, connecting over default wifi and installing the proper backup for that repeater free-wifi config.)

UPDATE: tested and it works! Had to remove the SSID in WLAN1, for the list to start.

vbn2020
just joined

Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:01 pm

Trying to do the same: have added two networks to the connect list, removed one previously used network from wlan1 and don't know what to do next: there must be a security profile selected, there are 3 of them: two for known networks and one default. Nothing happens if I select default. Station is in pseudo bridge mode.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:14 pm

there must be a security profile selected, there are 3 of them: two for known networks and one default. Nothing happens if I select default.

Your connect list must contain your 2 known networks, each with their own correct security profile.
See : viewtopic.php?t=169032&#p833474
The list will be scanned top to bottom, and the first one that maches will be used, and the scan will stop.
The wireless interface itself should not have a SSID specified AFAIK. Not sure if the connect list would overrule the interface setting if SSID was specified.
(Needed to remove it at some point before)

vbn2020
just joined

Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:33 pm

Thanks for a quick response!

Yes, I have two networks both with corresponding security profiles.

SSID place in wlan1 is left empty, but I cannot do the same for a security profile. There must be something, I cannot leave it empty. I have to select something from a drop-down list

UPDATE: I switched from pseudo to station and it works now! Thanks a lot!

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:45 pm

Security profile in WLAN interface is no problem, it will not be used, if SSID is empty and the Connect list is used to define both SSID and Security profile.