Community discussions

MikroTik App

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

7.13rc3: Howto WiFi CAPsMAN with VLAN tagging?

Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:02 pm

I would like to use VLAN tags with my SSIDs on AC devices using "wifi-qcom-ac" and the new WiFi CAPsMAN.

The way before WiFi CAPsMAN was to simply add a VLAN tag to the datapath.
This is still working on AX devices but on AC devices, I get the error message "vlan-id configured, but interface does not support assigning vlans".

Reading further in the documentation, it says "802.11ac chipsets do not support this type of VLAN tagging , but they can be configured as VLAN access ports in bridge settings."

Question: Any examples how to setup WiFi CAPsMAN to use VLAN tags on SSID for AC and AX devices?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 7.13rc3: Howto WiFi CAPsMAN with VLAN tagging?

Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:22 pm

Yup. In provisioning set action=create-enabled which means that interfaces will be created "sticky". After cAP is provisioned, connect to cAP and set pvid property of bridge port (wireless interface). If bridge is confiugred with vlan-filtering=yes, then this means that that wireless interface becomes access port of configured VLAN. With action=create-enabled the pvid setting will survive reboots of cAP. In this case, vlan-id property on datapath should not be set.

Or so goes public wisdom.

You're hosed if you don't have vlan-filtering enabled on bridge for some (weird reason).

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Dear mkx,

thanks for your explanation!
I tried it and now have a much better understanding how it works.

cheese2402
just joined

Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:00 pm

Hello mkx,

If I don‘t use provisioning and I make direct config to this Interface in Capsman, what can I do?

Make the config to each Cap and then make the pvid-config to the generated Interfaces?

Thanks
Cheese

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:44 am

This one is a bit of a can of worms isn't it? Takes configuring a new cAP ac from a very quick and relatively painless operation of a) reset in CAPs mode and b) change password & identity into a pretty nightmare series of steps (okay first three steps have to be done anyway):
  1. Upgrade to latest v6.x version (reboot)
  2. Upgrade to v7.x (reboot)
  3. Upgrade to latest v7.x (reboot)
  4. Uninstall wireless package
  5. Upload matching version of qcom-ac package
  6. Reboot...
  7. Upload script to configure access point (which is frowned upon)
  8. Reset configuration and run script
  9. Change password and identity
Alternatively carry out manual reconfiguration of default CAPS configuration which is fiddly to say the least.
Reading further in the documentation, it says "802.11ac chipsets do not support this type of VLAN tagging , but they can be configured as VLAN access ports in bridge settings."
The old wireless driver seemed to be able to apply VLAN tagging on the interface. So this is a software restriction??

One is REALLY tempted to stick with the old wireless package which seems a shame. The above is just too much hassle for SOHO just to get WPA3-PSK and fast switching??