Community discussions

MikroTik App

JRnet
just joined
Topic Author

Using router on one side of PC

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:02 pm

I have the following setup:

TestDevice <=====>Microtik_Hex_S_router<=====>MyPC<====wireless====>ISP_Wifi_Router
Ether2Port_______________________________Ether3Port______VPN

I have tried a lot of settings but I seem to keep having problems with everything working properly.
What I am really trying to accomplish is the following:
1) I need the Microtik to supply an IP address to the TestDevice using DHCP
2) I need the Microtik to bridge the connection between the PC and the TestDevice
3) I need the Microtik and the Wifi_Router not to fight with each other or create problems.

Currently I have the Microtik set up as a Bridge but I still seem to have the following problems:
1) cannot connect reliably to the TestDevice from the PC
2) sometimes the access to the internet via the ISP seems impacted

I can connect to the Microtik via Winbox.
It is currently set up as a bridge but I have tried router in the past.
I don't see the PC or the TestDevice in the Neighbors screen even though I have the discovery settings all enabled.

I am just wondering what the settings should be for this type of configuration in order to have things work smoothly.
Thanks for any tips you can offer.
JR

JRnet
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Using router on one side of PC

Tue May 07, 2024 12:17 am

Ok, I think I figured out the proper way to install this Microtik HexS to bridge my test device and my PC is using the router as a bridge.
So, I have that working now.

Just curious, if it is set up to bridge say ether2 and ether3, should I expect anything to show up in the Neighbor List?
Is the problem there that the bridge is operating at layer 2 and therefore no IP addresses are involved?

I see my PC showing up in IP/Neighbors in Winbox on ether2 if I get into the router via Winbox.
However, if I click Neighbors on the initial Winbox screen w/o logging in to the router, it shows nothing. Just wondering what the difference is there. Do you know?

Anyway, except for the device under test not showing up in any of the Neighbors lists, it is indeed working.
My PC is now able to connect to the web server of the device under test.

Perhaps the device under test does not have the implemented protocol required to show up in Neighbors?

Thanks for any insights.
Jerry