MikroTik App

miankamran7100
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Virtual SIM in Mikrotik

Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:30 am

Dear all hope you will be fine.
Is it possible to use a eSIM in Mikrotik?
Thanks

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Virtual SIM in Mikrotik

Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:54 am

Not yet, but there are hints about future devices that support eSIM.

Note this is not virtual, but still a chip soldered on the board or available in SOC.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:36 am

Hooks are there in menu structure but not functional yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:15 pm

that will be nice

patrick7

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:20 pm

There are workarounds like esim.me if you need it before MikroTik's Implementation.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:05 pm

Oh, that looks quite interesting... But to download a profile to that card I have to place it in a smartphone first or is there a way to use it without a smartphone?

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:16 am

But to download a profile to that card I have to place it in a smartphone first or is there a way to use it without a smartphone?
Likely a computer, not a smartphone.

VadymMasiuk
just joined

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 am

Likely a computer, not a smartphone.
Actually it requires smartphone, to be more specific here - it requires Android device with SIM slot... both solutions available on the market nowadays (5ber and eSIM.me) work just fine. However, I personally prefer using 5ber lately, as they have some sort of profile migration between sim cards within 1 owner, and also license pricing is more attractive

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 am

AFAIK, the esim.me cards are just some JavaCard applet (software) running on a SIM card. These applet are "run" by SIM Toolkit (STK), which on most modems is accessed via AT command (or QMI on older modems). On Android, any app certainly have to go through the STK to interact with the SIM card. But at end of the day, it sending serial AT commands to set the eSIM profile to use.

So, in theory, you should be able to program it from a Mikrotik using AT commands (e.g. /interface/lte/at-chat). There is some 3GPP standards around JavaCard/eSIM/etc., so while specific AT command vary by modem-type, the STK forces a semi-standard interface for any code running on the SIM card. So imagine there be some way to set something like the esim.me card from a Mikrotik. But don't quote me ;).

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 am

Actually it requires smartphone, to be more specific here - it requires Android device with SIM slot... both solutions available on the market nowadays (5ber and eSIM.me) work just fine.
Both solutions work to setup a Mikrotik radio?

I would suspect that if you use a SmartPhone it will setup the eSIM on that SmartPhone, which is not the goal.

Otherwise those two products, are emulating an eSIM with a SIM card. Work-around, but not the intended goal.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:28 am

I have not tested either. But I believe once the vendor's Android app sets up a carrier profile, it stores on the physical SIM with custom JavaCard app that manages it. e.g. esim.me FAQ,
Can I turn my existing device into an eSIM-compatible device?
Yes, you can do this with eSIM.me. Thanks to the eSIM.me Card, Android smartphones can download, manage and read eSIM profiles. Other mobile devices can at least read the active eSIM profile on the eSIM.me Card.
So you can't change it, but should work with last carrier set when it setup on Android phone.

I may order one of these to try, since I'm curious. But I'm pretty sure there likely be some combo of AT command to be able to change it from Mikrotik too.
I know there are other vendors too, but I haven't followed eSIMs-on-physical-sims topic too closely.

Otherwise those two products, are emulating an eSIM with a SIM card. Work-around, but not the intended goal.
This would be true if you couldn't change the profile, as it be same work just use the carrier-specific SIM since both case require removing the SIM.
But AFAIK both of these are physical SIM card that hide the fact it's a eSIM to modem.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 06, 2024 5:32 am

do we have any update on that?