Community discussions

MikroTik App

and123
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik LHG LTE 18 kit not getting any internet connection

Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:56 pm

Hello,

I recently bought LHG 18 kit with the goal of improving my internet speed.
So far I inserted SIM card into it, and tried following instructions given in the user manual but I am not able to connect it to the internet.
I can see it detecting my internet provider and signal but I am not getting any internet connection on the cable.
What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated as I’ve been trying to get it to work for more than two days and I am at the point of returning the device. Thank you!

alexmattos
just joined

Re: Mikrotik LHG LTE 18 kit not getting any internet connection

Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:22 am

Hi. I have a similar problem. Powers up, SIM inserted but cannot see any evidence of LTE signal or connection. Should I get an LED on the front panel?

How can I tell if LTE is being picked up? My phone next to the LHG has LTE/4G connection so it’s not lack of signal.

The lte interface in the UI is not showing as running and there is no traffic shown.

alexmattos
just joined

Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:44 pm

Update: I have found that it was not getting enough signal. Now I can see signal on the LTE (it’s connected) but there is still no internet IP shown.

I had to reset the LHG LTE18 to factory default. Is there a quickset guide somewhere as I think I am missing something really simple.

I cannot get internet on the Ethernet port so this has to be something really basic.

Any help appreciated.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:15 pm

The LHG acts like any router, except the "WAN port" is the LTE connection. So when you plug in it, give you a standard default LAN on 192.168.88.0/24 with DHCP. So yeah if LTE not connect, then no internet.

If you have a default config, and use QuickSet on 192.168.88.1 while connected to LHG... Two things are what's minimumly needed:
- set the APN for your carrier – do not use the default "internet" unless that's really your LTE carrier's APN.
- QuickSet will show you the LTE signal it reading... keep slowly moving in different direction until the you the highest value for SINR (or RSRP, or RSSI if that all that's shown) – keep in mind bigger negative numbers are worse

If it's still not connecting, go to the main config (in upper right button if using web) navigate to Interface > LTE and select "APN Profiles". In the default APN profile make sure "Use Network APN" is unchecked. Again assuming you set the APN name correctly to your carrier/account type.

alexmattos
just joined

Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I have checked all you suggested and I can see the LTE connection signal strength in Quickset :D

APN is correct (for EE)
Use Network APN is unchecked.
DHCP server is providing IPs on the Ethernet port

**UPDATE - solved - there was a PAP authentication needed on the APN settings which I didn't have ***
Last edited by alexmattos on Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:33 pm

What signal is showing? Is connected, and really just not getting IP address?

If signal looks okay and it's showing connected... Maybe possible EE is only offering a IPv6? I'm in the US, but recall one of the UK carriers using IPv6-only (with XLAT464 for IPv4). Maybe toggle the IP mode to "IPv4 only" in the APN profile?

alexmattos
just joined

Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:43 pm

Thanks - solved it. APN Authentication settings needed putting in.

frogtech
just joined

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:53 pm

In the default APN profile make sure "Use Network APN" is unchecked.
That was my case! After I unchecked it, Internet worked right away!

Thanks a lot Amm0!
Last edited by frogtech on Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.