Community discussions

MikroTik App

miku
just joined
Topic Author

LHG R modem upgrade from LTE6 to LTE18

Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:07 pm

Hello,

Currently, I have an R11e-LTE6 modem in my LHG R. I have the opportunity to purchase a used Telit LM960 modem. Does any of you dear colleagues have experience with replacing the modem in this model? The Telit modem needs 2 antennas mimo 2×2, in LHG there is only one. Can an additional antenna be added?

Best regards.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: LHG R modem upgrade from LTE6 to LTE18

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:48 pm

I upgraded mine with a EM12-G

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LHG R modem upgrade from LTE6 to LTE18

Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:41 pm

The LM960 be tricky. The LHG has only 2 antenna jacks, and their U.FL...while LM960 uses MHF-4 connections. But Mikrotik has good support for the LM960s (e.g. it shows all the LTE metrics), so it should, generally, work.

Assuming you adapt U.FL to MHF-4, you could just use the two antenna ports to LHG antenna, and modem will still work. There are AT commands to control the MIMO-ness (#LRXDIV etc) further.

But issue is some CA modes do need 4x4 MIMO to work - so you lose at lot of advantage of LM960 if only 2 antennas ports... But even that config likely much faster than CAT6 modem.

If you want to get more DIY with the Telit LM960s... what we've done on few of the SXT-R is add drill holes for some MHF-4 to SMA bulkhead pigtails to wire up an external omni terminal antennas to the remaining 2nd MIMO antenna ports (since SXT like LHG is only 2x2 MIMO while LM960 supports 4x4 MIMO). We add the extra antenna jacks to the back of SXT above the bracket – on the LHG, the "back" be tricker... But using some kinda pigtail to 2nd antennas to add another MIMO pair from LHG is an option.

Also, the LM960 allows sharing of one of the div antenna for GPS, so on the 2nd/external one so if the 2nd antenna support GPS frequencies, you don't need the 5th GPS port (and if you don't need GPS, you can ignore the 5th GPS port on the LM960)

Again the LM960 uses smaller MHF-4 connectors, so the pigtails are the critical part in any approach here.