Community discussions

MikroTik App

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

BGP sessions close when another session to the same IP closes

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:33 pm

In RouterOS v7 it seems that when two or more peers have a BGP session to the same local IP, and one of them closes, they all are closed. The log says "Idle" for those sessions.
Usually they are quickly re-established by the peer and remain up from that time.

In my config this occurs for a number of peers connected via L2TP/IPsec. I have a loopback device with a /24 RFC1918 subnet on it, and the router has one address in it. All the L2TP/IPsec clients connect to the router, get their IP (via a fixed "remote address" in the PPP secrets list), and BGP is (statically) configured between those remote addresses and the local router address. I know it can be done more automatically in v7, but part of the clients are still v6.

Those peers are often over LTE, so regularly they go down/up because the provider has disconnected them after a while and issued a new public IP on re-connection. What I see is that those BGP sessions with the same local address go down at that moment. But other BGP sessions, that are over GRE tunnels and thus have a different local IP on the central router, remain up.

Does anyone else see this? Is this "normal" for v7 or should I search for something in the config that indirectly triggers this?
It doesn't happen with the same config on v6.

Should it be considered a bug? Or is this something that is specified deep in the BGP specs and just wasn't implemented in v6?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: BGP sessions close when another session to the same IP closes

Sat May 04, 2024 2:00 pm

Observing more closely it does not seem to be related to "session to the same IP".
It is important that on the central router the connections are listen=yes connect=no (i.e. "passive").
All connections are running (session is active), then one of them closes for whatever reason, it re-connects and then another one goes to Idle state waiting for a new connection.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: BGP sessions close when another session to the same IP closes

Wed May 15, 2024 10:12 am

I think I am closing in on the problem...
It turns out that the L2TP client addresses of the different routers get sent around using BGP, mostly due to the different way that BGP networks and filtering work in v7 relative to v6.
Whenever an L2TP link closes, that info gets sent around the entire network, and although I have no explanation for that it seems to cause a routing flap or whatever for the other clients, causing them to close as well.
I have now changed the routing filters so these individual addresses are no longer accepted (by limiting the dst-len to at most 29) and after a couple of days it appears the situation has improved much.

It is always a bit debatable whether you want to distribute routes for tunnels through the network, instead of keeping them private to the peers. It can be a good idea when "preferred source address" is not carefully configured in routes and route filters, because the router would select the tunnel address as source when it has to send something. It also may be convenient for monitoring.
But for the L2TP/IPsec dummy bridge it is sufficient to send a route for the entire subnet, not for each individual address.