Community discussions

MikroTik App

Carlcox89
just joined
Topic Author

AP Repeater setup

Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 pm

Hello,
I'm coming from the ubiquiti world, just got two Mikrotik groove52 ac and need to setup a simple repeater local network (no connection to router) that will work at a remote place
The main idea is that network ip range is 192.168.x.x
Have both the groove broadcasting same SSID and connect to each other, while also allowing clients to connect to them transparently (client will connect to the one that has the strongest signal) , and if something is connected through their ethernet port it should be all visible to the clients/other repeater
With ubiquiti this would be a matter of simple setting up AP Repeater mode in the wireless configuration and enable wds. But I'm finding it difficult to do it via winbox, although I tried several different tutorials.
Any help is appreciated.

Carlcox89
just joined
Topic Author

Re: AP Repeater setup

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 pm

bump...
Any idea ?
I managed to have one ap (A) and the second mikrotik (B) configured as wds slave, but then, when A is off, B doesn't provide an access point.
How to achieve this ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: AP Repeater setup

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 pm

I managed to have one ap (A) and the second mikrotik (B) configured as wds slave, but then, when A is off, B doesn't provide an access point.

MT doesn't have anything like "fallback" for repeater AP. What often repeater AP does is that it uses radio (master wifi interface) to connect to serving AP as wireless station and provides AP functionality via same radio (slave wifi interface). Basic requirement for radio station is possibility to change physical radio parameters (e.g. frequency, channel layout, ...) to be able to follow changes of AP. When master radio is not connected, it's actively searching for AP to connect to, during which it's constantly changing frequency). So not really suitable for AP operations.
Next obstacle is the fact that "true" repeater actually acts in the same way as (dumb) ethernet switch: it only passes ethernet frames between member ports. So it doesn't provide DHCP server (and the rest of network functions). If link from slave AP to master AP drops, then also these functionalities get lost.

Alternative is to configure slave AP as WISP CPE (not sure if such a profile exists in QuickSet, probably not). In this case device does routing (and NAT and what not) between WAN interface (which is wireless in this case) and LAN interfaces (wired ports, and slave wifi interface). In this case network functions remain working if "WAN" link gets lost, the problem with scanning wifi interface still remains.

The problems, outlined above, are the reason for using dedicated wifi radio for uplink/meshing. E.g. Audience, device made by MT with published intent of providing wireless mesh capabilities, comes with 3 radios: 2.4GHz radio and two 5GHz radios - one of them is intended for meshing between nodes and one for AP on 5GHz band.