Community discussions

MikroTik App

dewitpj
Topic Author

Interface activity doesn't count VLAN traffic

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:08 am

Hi,

When selecting "interface activity" for say ether1, if you have a VLAN interface it doesn't show activity for the VLAN interface.

Is there a way around this ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Interface activity doesn't count VLAN traffic

Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 pm

Actually it does show ... it shows all traffic, passing a physical port (tagged or untagged).

If you are not seeing the same way, then explain actual topology and setup so we can see if there's misunderstanding or a possible bug. And what exactly you're observing, it could be I'm referring to something completely different.

dewitpj
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 pm

Actually it does show ... it shows all traffic, passing a physical port (tagged or untagged).

If you are not seeing the same way, then explain actual topology and setup so we can see if there's misunderstanding or a possible bug. And what exactly you're observing, it could be I'm referring to something completely different.
I am talking about the front LEDs yeah ?

Sure - I have ether1 connected to the Fibre ONT. I need to tag my internet traffic with VLAN10 so I created a VLAN interface on and "bound" it to ether1. On top of that VLAN10 interface I have created a PPPoE interface that auth's me to my ISP. If I leave it as led1 to ether1 I see broadcasts and the likes - a flash ever now and then. Changing this to the VLAN10 interface, I see a very fast blinking LED, same if I set it to the PPPoE interface.

I also have a bond running down to a HP switch, same thing...

I just did a compare where I have a server, connected to ether4 on an "access" port, aka nothing else, no VLAN etc and it only shows broadcast type traffic. I did an update on my Ubuntu and it flashed like 20 times during the whole process - including the SSH session....

Happy to upload a video somewhere if you want

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:17 pm

Ah, right.

It could be that leds functionality refers to L3 interface (when configured so). And that excludes tagged traffic. You may want to open a ticket with support@mikrotik.com and have them clarify (and update/ammend help page as well).

dewitpj
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm

Ah, right.

It could be that leds functionality refers to L3 interface (when configured so). And that excludes tagged traffic. You may want to open a ticket with support@mikrotik.com and have them clarify (and update/ammend help page as well).
Will do :)