Community discussions

MikroTik App

lnc1995
just joined
Topic Author

Wireguard Keeps trying to reconnect

Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:46 pm

7.14.1 changelogs : wireguard - do not attempt to connect to peer without specified endpoint-address;
But it seems still not fixed in 7.14.2,when i disconnect from my android phone,the router will log a lot of "Handshake for peer did not complete after 5 seconds,retrying (try 2)" message.

flies
just joined

Re: Wireguard Keeps trying to reconnect

Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:18 am

Observing same issue on 7.14.2 even though it mentions fixed on 7.14.1.

jayooo
just joined

Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:02 am

Do you have persistent keepalive disabled?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:51 am

Persistent keep alive is required on the client ( for handshake ) peer and not on the Server (for handshake) peer.

jayooo
just joined

Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:45 am

Yes but it seems like they might possibly have it enabled on the router side, as the router is logging an attempt every xx seconds.

flies
just joined

Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:12 am

Nope, neither endpoint nor keepalived persistant is enabled on mikrotik server, yet it still tries to handshake in loop once device was online for a while.

https://ss.codeone.pl/ss-2024-04-05-10- ... o6SuR2.png
https://ss.codeone.pl/ss-2024-04-05-10- ... mCVhNo.png

I can see in 7.15 beta 6, that it might be fixed there, but not on 7.14 branch.

What's new in 7.15beta6 (2024-Mar-08 08:23):
*) wireguard - do not attempt to connect to peer without specified endpoint-address;

VMX
just joined

Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm

I'm experiencing the same issue on 7.14 here (see attached image).

My Hex S keeps trying to complete the handshake with my Pixel 7 Pro, even though my phone has been disconnected from the VPN for hours. Persistent keepalive is NOT enabled in any of the devices, and it has never been.

Also, I'm not sure if the issue is related, but I'll mention it just in case because it looks like too much of a coincidence to me:

While the VPN continues to work perfectly fine from my Pixel phone despite what you see in the logs, my MacBook on the other hand has suddenly lost the ability to use this same VPN tunnel (same interface).

I have NEVER modified the configuration, either on the MikroTik or any of the peers, and both have been working just fine for several months. But at some point this week, when I tried to connect from my MacBook (also using the official Wireguard client), this started happening. The connection is established according to the Wireguard app ("Active", green light), but I have no connectivity. Can't access neither local or remote resources, everything just times out from the Mac.

I can also confirm that the MacBook can correctly connect to a different Wireguard interface I have on a difference device (a Raspberry Pi), meaning the issue must specifically be related to the MikroTik tunnel only.

The important bit here is that the "Handshake for peer did not complete..." messages are referring to my Pixel, not my MacBook! Whereas it's my MacBook connection that stopped working, not my Pixel's.

So I'm just wondering: could this bug somehow be causing the MikroTik to only listen for connections coming from the Pixel peer, while ignoring the rest?

Happy to help troubleshoot this as I'm highly interested in gaining VPN access from my MacBook again :D

Edit: I can also confirm this is NOT fixed in 7.15 beta 9. The handshake logs about my Pixel keep coming every minute, and my MacBook is still unable to connect to the VPN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

llamajaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

Believe this is a known issue with the BTH functionality being addressed for imminent 7.15 release. Imminent used loosely.