Community discussions

MikroTik App

bilak
just joined
Topic Author

RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD setup with cAP AX

Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:57 pm

Hello,
I have RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD for some time running without any issues. Current version of RouterOS is 7.14.2.
Now I want to extend the network because it's not good at some places. I've bought cAP AX without previous investigation about setup what was probably wrong :-/

I'd like to setup capsman, but I've seen that there are 2 versions. When I look into new one I don't see any interfaces which is suspicious to me. Is that ok? Would it be possible to run RB4011 as capsman server even for cAP AX?

If capsman isn't the right way to go, what would be the easiest way to have the same SID(s) on both APs?

I've read through many articles but it's little bit confusing for me.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD setup with cAP AX  [SOLVED]

Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm

I'd like to setup capsman, but I've seen that there are 2 versions. When I look into new one I don't see any interfaces which is suspicious to me. Is that ok? Would it be possible to run RB4011 as capsman server even for cAP AX?

If capsman isn't the right way to go, what would be the easiest way to have the same SID(s) on both APs?

With your pair of devices, you have basically 3 options:
  1. configure RB4011 radios locally (you likely already have it) and cAP ax radios locally as well. Just make sure that security settings (SSID, password, authentication types) match on both devices.
    Clients will roam between both APs at their own will (some will hang on to the one with inferior signal forever) with connection pauses (or even drops) while roaming.
    In this case cAP ax needs to be configured as switch/AP - I don't think there's a QuickSet profile for that.
  2. similarly to option #1, but use capsman (under /interface/wifi) to provision cAP ax. You still have to set security settings in two places, so you have to make sure they match each other manually. You can get cAP ax into CAPsMAN mode in a few different ways, one is appropriately timed button press during power-up sequence, another is (IIRC) QuickSet profile.
    The net effect will be similar to option #1 though, so personally I think it's not worth bothering with this option if there will only be one CAP device.
  3. on RB4011 replace package wireless with wifi-qcom-ac
    You'll configure security settings for both RB4012 and cAP ax in single instance (under /interface/wifi/security), you'll get actual mobility with clients supporting 802.11 r/k/v standards, you'll be able to use newer WPA3 authentication type, etc.
    BUT: you'll loose 2.4GHz radio on RB4011.

So there isn't one good option and you'll have to choose which is least bad for you.

bilak
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD setup with cAP AX

Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:20 pm

Hi and thanks for response.
Eventually I did it with capsman, the only thing I needed to do upfront was to login to cAP AX and upgrade firmware to the same version (7.14.2) after that capsman started to work.