Community discussions

MikroTik App

realmark
just joined
Topic Author

10gbase-T / 10gbe copper switching

Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:02 am

Am I the only one disappointed by the CRS326-4C+20G+2Q+RM? Are 10gbase-t PHYs still so expensive? It just seems like a downgrade compared to the CRS326-24S+2Q+RM.
On the flip side, the biggest place where I feel the need for 2.5gbe ports is for next-gen APs that call for 2.5gbe uplinks. Which means I'm looking for POE, which is also missing in this design.

With more and more servers shipping with 10gbe copper, really feeling the lack of a solid way to go higher-density on 10gbe copper. The CRS312-4C+8XG-RM just doesn't have the usable port count, especially once you take uplink bandwidth into account.

And before they're suggested:10gbase-T transceivers run hot enough you're not supposed to use them side-by-side. Combine that with pricing that makes putting in SFP+ cards+DAC cables cheaper... And yeah. I now am approaching 2 dozen servers with unused 10gbe copper ports.

The final oddity of the situation (to me) is if SFP+ ports are so much cheaper to implement, why are all these server motherboards shipping with 10gbase-T?