Community discussions

MikroTik App

kekraiser
Topic Author

802.11b required for me but missing in ROS7 WiFi

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:11 am

Hi.

Iam recently updated my router, switch and a few of wAP ac to ROS7 (7.14.2). CAPsMAN was previously configured on ROS6, so, after migrating to ROS7 it is still functional, but on old drivers. I manually remove "wireless" package from router and AP's and install "wifi-qcom-ac-7.14.2-arm.npk" to AP's. After this, new WiFi driver + new CAPsMAN was easily setted up, and all works fine as before.

I was configured two networks with next channels: 2.4 GHz for max N band and 5.0 GHz for max AC band. In ROS6 it was 2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz smth respectively.

But, a few devices now cant connect to the new wireless network: all of its is "Mitsubishi Electric Wi-Fi Interface (MAC-567IF-E1)". In manual to this device is clearly stands that supported bands is "IEEE 802.11b/g/n (20)" and radiochannels is "1–13 (2412–2472 МГц)".

I think main issue is that 802.11b is unsupported OR unused, because since once upon a time I tried to configure a 2.4 GHz wireless network on ROS6 only for N band and the same devices also could not connect to this network.

Searching the forum, Iam find some discussions (one, two) about 802.11b support, from the text of which it is clear that ROS7 WiFi definitely supported 802.11b, moreover, it cannot be disabled. But, looking at WinBox the configuration menu for channels, provisions, radio actually openened channels, I don’t see any B band mention anywhere, only N and G.

Can anyone please explain how to configure 802.11b in ROS7? Or, maybe, how to avoid connection issues with my fault devices.

Thank you.

Screenshot of few menus where 802.11b must be present (I think it might be):

Last edited by kekraiser on Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: 802.11b required for me but missing in ROS7 WiFi

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:14 am

You say yourself it supports B/G/N so apparantly the problem is not lack of 802.11b

So better rename the topic and include the wireless logs when the device attempts connection

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:24 am

There are a few settings available in new wifi configuration which might upset older stations (in no particular order):
  • enabling wpa3 authentication type
  • enabling anything but "ccmp" and "ccmp-256" as encryption type
  • setting "management-protection" to anything other than "disabled" (not an option when using wpa3)
  • try to experiment with setting connect-priority, some stations like it in a particular way. It seems that setting "0/1" works fine with many stations

All of the above are in "security" subsection / profile.

kekraiser
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:00 am

normis, yep, by the specification, G and N are supported, so B is not required. But, as I wrote in the original post, I previously tried to disable B and G on the old setup, leaving only N - and the device did not connect. So, in practice, POSSIBLY, he still needs a B band for something.
include the wireless logs when the device attempts connection
Iam trying to look at "Log" tool (for each AP), but there is nothing interested, and no any attempts to device connection. Is there any other wireless log present?

mkx, tried that all (and didn’t forget about provisions!), but no luck. There is all my settings for now:

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:40 am

You should enable CCMP cipher - screenshot shows that note of ciphers are selected and I don't know what's default.

Also try to disable FT, it's another AP capability which some clients may trip over.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:49 am

better yet, make a new virtual AP interface for the old clients, so that your main AP can keep using modern features

kekraiser
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:14 am

mkx, due to wiki, CCMP is default. But I tried to check it explicity, and uncheck FT. Provision -> device reset -> device setup... no luck.

normis, can you please specify how exactly you intend to configure it? I have four of these "faulty" devices, each one located in own room of the house. Four access points are located in the same rooms as this devices. So, I need to configure VAP in each AP (one VAP per AP?). Do I understand correctly that I need to install the legacy "wireless" package on router (CAPsMAN controller) and all AP's, and configure two CAPsMAN's in parallel (looks like it is possible - sees some posts about on this forum)? Or something else?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:20 am

But, a few devices now cant connect to the new wireless network:
Another thought: did you try to remove those devices from your wireless network and re-add them? I seem to remember this was necessary on certain smart phones (but not all of them ... all running various versions of Android) when I started with wifiwave2 drivers (predecessor of new wifi subsystem).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:22 am

yes, some devices cling to old settings, even if the new network has the same SSID and password.

my suggestion is to make those devices "forget" the network, then make a special virtual AP for them, with only WPA1-TKIP and 802.11b/g/n. Also make sure you are setting a 2GHz frequency that they support

kekraiser
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am

mkx, yes, I do. Devices was completely resetted (by "reset" button and by power switch) every time Iam try a new WiFi configuration on router and AP's. The only one "legacy" on the router for this devices is MAC-to-IP binding on DHCP Server (same as for all other devices in house), but I think it cant be an issue:
/ip dhcp-server lease add address=SOME_IP_HERE mac-address=SOME_MAC_HERE server=main
Also, iam trying to enable wireless debug logs for router and AP's, but nothing interesting related to failed connections was found.

normis, can you please clarify how exactly you see setup of an virtual access point? In the previous message I asked you about the options for this solution, because not clearly understend what to do.

kekraiser
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:18 pm

normis, mkx, I make a few experiments, and got very interesting results.

1. Any changes to WiFi CAPsMAN configs - configurations, channels, provisioning rules - turned out to be useless. Iam try almost anyting: frequencies, bands, passwords, encryption types, various checkboxes, disable 5GHz and leave only 2.4 GHz and a million other tips from the Internet and the forum - nothing helped, device not connected in any case.

2. Create new interface by hands (click on "+" sing in "WiFi" tab of the "WiFi" module), make same - Iam triple-checked this! - settings for security, channel, FT, and other, select as "Master" one of CAPsMAN created AP's interface- and all four devices connected at worked fine! Three of four devices was no resetted or reconfigured, and just connected at once when interface was make available.

So i'm stuck here. Device is successfully connects to same AP, but with different interface, created manually. Interfaces, created by CAPsMAN, is "failed" for some reason.

For obvious reasons, I cannot continue to work with this solution, and I would still like to configure everything through CAPSMAN. Can you please suggest me where to look for this CAPsMAN issues?

Thank you.

kekraiser
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:16 pm

Looks like, main issue is how CAPsMAN applying (?) security settings.

Simple experiment: edit one of CAPsMAN created interfaces, select same security configuration as created in "Security" tab and used in "Configuration" tab, save changes - and all devices successfully connected. No manual provision required. Screenshot can tell more.

All of this changes is resetted after provision, obviously.

By the way, when I manually created the interface, as stated in the previous message, I also specified already existing security config "main" in the configuration, and the “Security” column in the same table was filled with the value “main”.

This is already turning into some kind of magic for me.

kekraiser
Topic Author

Re: 802.11b required for me but missing in ROS7 WiFi  [SOLVED]

Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm

Found the main issue. No more words - just look at screenshot.

TL;DR: docs says:
Configuring a passphrase adds to the default list the wpa2-psk authentication method (if the interface is an AP) or both wpa-psk and wpa2-psk (if the interface is a station).
Yep, passphrase is configured. But in router (CAPsMAN controller) setup commands I see this:
/interface wifi configuration
add channel=2GHz country=SOME_COUNTRY disabled=no mode=ap name=main-2GHz
security=main security.authentication-types="" ssid=SOME_SSID
So, i think, "security.authentication-types=" IS NOT "Configuring a passphrase adds to the default list the wpa2-psk authentication method". My "faulty" device is supported exactly WPA2-PSK, but looks like there is just empty list, not "default ... wpa2-psk authentication method".

Btw, same issue is may be with "Encryption" tab.

You can use this command to check your configs for such "errors":
/interface/wifi/configuration/print