MikroTik App

nemoforum
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PoE out detection on hAP ax2 at relatively low temperature

Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:56 pm

Hi!
I've already provided the below info to the technical support via the ticket (SUP-142024), however, it would be nice to confirm the potential (software I hope) issue.
I have SXT LTE6 Kit connected to hAP ax2 ether1 PoE port. hAP ax2 is powered via a stock power adapter.

I was able to reproduce the issue a few times on 7.14beta8 once I turned the device on after storage (at room temperature): no PoE out in both cases (SXT connected to hAP and then hAP powered on; hAP powered on and then SXT connected to hAP).

Then I updated the firmware to 7.14rc1 and could reproduce the issue until hAP warmed up.

Then I put hAP in the fridge for 20 min (its temperature was around -6*C, as the pyrometer says) and was able to reproduce the issue again until it warmed up (when the device temperature reached around 30..32*C.): no PoE out in both cases (SXT connected to hAP and then hAP powered on; hAP powered on and then SXT connected to hAP). Repeated that twice.

If I connect cooled-down hAP with SXT, power on hAP and let it rest (warm-up), PoE starts working once hAP is warmed up without any interaction.

I did the same test (put it in the fridge) with my second hAP ax2 unit (which works as a home router) - and was able to reproduce the issue. The second unit has a slightly lower threshold, so PoE starts working much faster( in a few minutes of warming up when the device temperature reaches around 12..15*C.

So, both units are affected. Device temperature was measured by the pyrometer in the centre of each device on the ventilation hole side (see the attached photo).
Product page says:
Tested ambient temperature -40°C to 50°C
Before 7.13 (approx.) I didn’t face such an issue.

Does anyone face the same issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nemoforum
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: PoE out detection on hAP ax2 at relatively low temperature

Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:03 pm

I was able to reproduce the issue on 7.13 and 7.11.3.
Also, turning the interface off/on or switching PoE mode to force and back to auto doesn't help.
The product page says “Tested ambient temperature -40°C to 50°C“.
My devices have issues in the range -6..+18.

Once more, the reproduction steps:
1. Cool down the unit [hAP ax2] (-6*C in my case)
2. Connect SXT LTE6 KIT (eth1) to the unit (eth1) [no other devices connected]
3. Connect power to the unit
4. Wait until the device warms up and PoE out turns on. In my case, it’s 12..15*C for one unit and 30..32*C for the second one.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:54 pm

Did you contact support with your findings ?

nemoforum
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:28 pm

Yes, waiting for an answer.

nemoforum
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:03 am

The answer from support:
Hello,

We have investigated and turns out there is no issue with the hAP ax² but with the SXT LTE6.
If you will use hAP ax² in warm enviroment, there should not be issues with SXT LTE6 detection.
I would suggest setting poe-Out to forced on to prevent this issue.

Best regards,
:?