MikroTik App

dwnldr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Solving wireless coverage without possibility to add wired AP

Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:17 pm

Dear community,

since i really dont know "which direction" to go, choose, or if my ideas are correct, i would like to kindly ask you for your ideas.

The issue im facing is, how to solve WiFi coverage inside "weekend house", where im sadly not the owner (just a user) and dont have actually the possiblity/rights to drill, destroy and install cables and connect some AP. The "cube" is cca 80m2 big (so nothing huge), but the inside wall is absolutely destroying the coverage. Also 2.4Ghz has hard times and in "opposite" corners even this frequency disappears. Honestly, the situation was acceptable and (lets say) working with Legacy drivers, running with "no_country_set/superchannel, illegal limits" (even if nobody is around...). With wifiwave2 and correct TX power is the situation unacceptable.

I draw a plan https://ibb.co/TrYRKp3 for better understanding, where :
ROOM1:
- hap ac3 acts as a main router, and AP1. Its position is sadly limited/fixed, since the DSL cable for ISP modem is located there and also the outdoor mANTbox as AP2 has its connection in this place from outside (facing to garden)
- powerline "IN" is present because of required cable connection for ISP STB device in ROOM4, where the second powerline "OUT" is installed
ROOM4:
- as mentioned, powerline "OUT" for cable connected ISP STB device, and a switch for other multimedia devices.

If you make couple of steps from ENTRY DOOR to ROOM3, the signal gets even worse and worse, stepping in ROOM4 the 5Ghz disappears absolutely and 2.4Ghz gets weaker with every single meter "inside the room". We have AppleTV in this room also, which i have to connect to switch (so effectively PowerLine) because the WiFi strength issues. The client devices are "roaming/jumping" between "-100db 5ghz/bit better 2.4ghz/and no signal" range.
I know that Audience is the product aimed to create Mesh networks, but even if i replace in ROOM1 the hap ac3 with Audience + switch (or use hap ac3 as a switch) im unsure if i can grab and repeat sufficient signal with the second one to forward it to ROOM4 & 3 (i have also no idea where to place it...)
I can use the PowerLine OUTs (PL7411) internal WiFi in ROOM4, but since we are talking about 100Mbit powerline sharing its bandwith with STB and only 2.4GHz built in WiFi, the speed would be tragedy (even with any powerline connected AP, because of mentioned PL limitations). The speed is so much important as the coverage, since the room is most "occupied" with us and multimedia devices, so this is the most "bandwith hungry" area.

I have really no ideas how to solve this issue with success, Audience isnt cheap device for "testing" (and we are talking about min. 2 pieces). Only workaround seems to be for now reverting back to Legacy drivers with half of the speed compared to wave2 and drive outside of limits... Everything could be easily and nicely covered and wired with proper preparation and installation, but this property is sadly "like it is" and i have to accept that and search for solution. All network devices used are MT devices.

Thank you very much !

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Solving wireless coverage without possibility to add wired AP

Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:46 pm

Isn't "100Mbit powerline" the first thing to be looked at?

Since you are in a small house, unless your mains is really "dirty" you should AFAIK be able to reach more than 100 Mbps with high speed powerlines.

Try checking this site:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/c ... 1-updn/11/

The Mikrotik PL7411 isn't listed there, so no way to compare, but from the specifications the PL7411 doesn't seem like being a very fast powerline:
https://mikrotik.com/product/pwr_line_ap

dwnldr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:41 pm

jaclaz, thank you very much for your reply.
Honestly, i found powerline the "dirty" solution, but i have no other option. The first thing is, that lot of powerlines are crap (tested), but the PL7411 runs WITHOUT any issues (two years) and delivers the max rates. The second thing is, that the "line" for STB and "internet" are two different ports from ISP modem. You dont have network connection on "TV output" and the is no TV on "internet output". This is solved via EoIP tunnel, and even this feature is configured in router (room1) and switch (room4), in unsure if this will work without MT. The best solution would be avoiding Powerlines for "internet" and use them only as STB dedicated line. Other should be used wirelessly :-/
Last edited by dwnldr on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:02 pm

It should be seen specifically, but there are relatively new codes (at least here in Italy) that do allow "mixing" particularly tested/marked network cables in the same conduit as mains.
If there is enough room for adding one of those (and of course only if you have electric conduits) it would be the "best" solution.
JFYI:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=34723971

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:41 pm

Isn't "100Mbit powerline" the first thing to be looked at?

Since you are in a small house, unless your mains is really "dirty" you should AFAIK be able to reach more than 100 Mbps with high speed powerlines.
Make no mistake, a CLEAN mains but having solar convertors installed somewhere on that same line can be enough to SINK your throughput to 80Mbps or lower.
Digital convertors using harmonics to recreate sine waves are no friends of powerline signals.
Been there, done that, had cat6 cable laid all the way down via garage and basement to solve that little problem.

No coax cable available which can be re-used for MOCA ?

I would disable 5Ghz altogether so your clients have no choice what to take. 2Ghz goes a lot better through walls then 5GHz.
Or use 2GHz for transmission between rooms (AX Lite to capture wifi and provide ethernet ?).

dwnldr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:20 pm

Thank you very much guys for reply !

@holvoetn, i have to check the coaxial wires. im sure, that in "problematic" ROOM4 are some (old) coax connectors (unfortunately on different side of the room, what should not be issue if i put there "AP), but im unsure if such connection is present in ROOM1, where every source is present. I also dont know what "Moca" compatible coax installation means. I watched quickly some informations and it looks like, it should deliver for shorter distance waaaay more as powerline. At least regerading "web". Do you have maybe some experiences with "MOCA-Lan" converters/devices ? I cant find anything from MikroTIk sadly :/
About 2.4Ghz, honestly i dont want to do that, ill better swap the legacy drivers back to ac3 or my spare 4011-RM. Powerlines are rated 100Mb, and they also deliver that. If i would, i could turn on 2.4WiFi on PL7411 in ROOM4 and cover that area. Since it is QCA9533 "n WiFi4" it wouldnt even deliver more wirelessly as the 100Mb of course. The issue is what i mentioned, that ROOM4 is the most bandwith hungry place in this house (STB, AppleTV/Emby, Laptops, Mobile devices if we are there...) so i try to achieve the biggest possible speed. Funny is, that i make couple of steps - go 5metres to the opposite side of the wall to ROOM1 where hap ac3 is located and have 650Mb measured via WiFi :D Then back and if i have luck i can catch something between 15-30mb :(
Its maybe a piece of Great Chinese wall...

igorr29

Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:24 am

this sounds like some of the soviet/yugo ghosts still living in the house , ahah. have the same problem in a yugo apartment block. 90m2 , the signal stops mid corridor and doesn't go beyond. even in times of ooold adsl (512kbit), i had "full speed" in the living room, but getting only about 250kbit in the bedroom. fast forward 20 years ahead, it's the same problem where i had 100mbit in the living room, but about 0.5 in the bedroom.
anyway my solution was dirty - drilled 2 holes in window wood, and ran a cable outside the building. recently replaced by a new outdoor rated cable, this solution still works.
i tried a mesh system for the sake of trying it - but it required 3 units, one had to stay mid corridor to repeat the signal. it's some ghosts for sure.

anyway, if you have old telephone cabling in all rooms, and you're not running vdsl on it, get a pair of vdsl converters (i have a pair, can't remember the manufacturer) they deliver almost 100mbit over ~100m. but you must get a pair, they're like powerline but use telephone cables instead.

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:44 am

Well, if you have a coaxial cable (think a TV antenna cable) that goes from A to B then you can use MOCA alright, but again, if you have conduits it would be better to pass a new cat 5e or 6 cable (or even fibre), same goes for old telephone cable.
A pair of adapters should be in the range of 100-150-200 US dollars/Euro (not exactly cheap), you want MOCA 2.0 at least.
The "other" standard should be ITU-T G.hn/ITU-T G.9960, that covers powerline, coaxial and telephone line, see as an example:
https://www.mouser.it/new/maxlinear/exa ... rocessors/

dwnldr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:30 pm

Thank you very much guys !
Ill check tomorrow exactly the coax lines. The MOCA isnt cheap, but it costs as "1.5" unit of Audience. From which i need at least 3pieces as Igor wrote. And im still unable to imagine, where should i locate them, in order to push some bandwith thru.

@igor - this is exactly the same as your case. "Czechoslovak" wall, at least 40cm of pure self constructed "communist concrete". Its isolator as hell

@jaclaz - grazie mille ! if i should choose, ill vote for something as "moca". I would like to avoid the 100Mbit solution for the future (i have already a 100mbit powerline, so it isnt the case. I also check if there is any possibility to "hide" maybe optical cadle somewhere around, but i dont give a big chance...