MikroTik App

smotrov
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Persistent Wi-Fi Disconnection Issues with Mikrotik ax2

Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing an issue with my Mikrotik ax 2 router that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with. The problem is quite peculiar and I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

My network consists entirely of devices that connect via Wi-Fi, and they are all intermittently losing their connection several times a day. What's especially strange is that even when the devices are disconnected, the SSID remains visible in the network lists. When any device attempts to reconnect, it's denied access with an error message stating the Wi-Fi password is incorrect. This is obviously puzzling since the password hasn't been changed.

The wired connection, however, remains unaffected and operates without any hitches, which seems to isolate the issue to the Wi-Fi component of the router. The router is currently running on RouterOS v7.9.2, and I've also tried updating to 7.10rc6, but the problem persists on both versions.

Interestingly enough, a system reboot temporarily resolves the issue and everything works smoothly again, but it's just a matter of time before the devices start losing connection. This makes me believe that it's not a hardware issue but something related to the software or settings.

While troubleshooting, I noticed some recurring lines in the router's log when the disconnections occur. The logs show "wifi2 disconnected, key handshake timeout, signal strength -80", which I'm assuming has some relevance to my issue but I'm not exactly sure what it means.

I'm hoping someone with a bit more technical knowledge could shed some light on this. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Persistent Wi-Fi Disconnection Issues with Mikrotik ax2

Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:42 pm

Check this thread: viewtopic.php?t=196170
Sounds like you're victim of the same bug.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:45 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mikrotik wireless :lol:

Can you paste router log here ? Or you can continue in topic that mkx posted. Are you using WPA3 ? Are you using default configuration ?

Ca6ko
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:05 pm

Thanks for the tip that rc 6 does not fix the problem. Tomorrow I plan to try a downgrade to 7.8
viewtopic.php?t=196170

avaalbertreo
just joined

Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:51 am

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem:

Restart your router: Sometimes, a simple router reboot can fix temporary connectivity issues. Unplug the power adapter from the router, wait for a few seconds, and then plug it back in.

Check your Wi-Fi signal strength: Make sure that your device is within a reasonable range of the router and not experiencing significant interference. Walls, appliances, and other electronic devices can weaken the Wi-Fi signal. Try moving closer to the router to see if the disconnection issue persists.

Update router firmware: Ensure that your Mikrotik ax2 router is running the latest firmware version. Router manufacturers often release firmware updates that address known issues and improve overall performance and stability. Visit the Mikrotik website or use the RouterOS interface to check for any available updates.

Carl123
just joined

Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:37 am

Thought I had a dud until I started reading :)
I have a HAP AX2 as well with same problem, WIFI access points can no longer be connected to, and all devices are kicked off.

Bit surprised/bewildered Mikrotik are not taking this more seriously (looks like this has been going on for some time?), the device not really "fit for purpose" in it's current state.
Lets hope this is a software issue, and not some sort of erratic hardware problem!

Few details, though looks like everyone else has already laid it out anyway...
With 7.9.1 firmware, wifi "crashing" seemed to be about every 2-2.5 days.
With 7.10.rc4 the "crashing" has increased to < 24 hours, sometimes half a day.

Very simple setup, nothing fancy!
1/Default router reset config.
2/Disable WPA3 (some devices seem to have trouble connecting otherwise)
3/Simple queue (cake)
4/Remove "fast track" from the firewall

Thats it... thanks for the tip on 7.8 firmware, I'll try that,

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:50 pm

Why would they take it more seriously, if they keep selling them as fasts as they can produce them?

And some really bright guys around here, will apologize for them?

smotrov
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:32 pm

Honestly, this is the worst piece of hardware I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. I've spent 20 years working in IT, and this device takes the cake for having the most convoluted control interface I've ever seen for a home or small business device.

The interface itself looks like it was ripped straight from the late 90s, and the configuration process is as counterintuitive as it gets. And the icing on the cake of this dreadful experience? It doesn't even work with the default configuration.

Before this, I was using multiple Apple Airport Extremes, and after years of uptime, I've practically forgotten where they're located in my apartment. This new AX2, however, has proven to be utterly useless. It's brought no tangible benefits over a device that's six years its senior. The speed's roughly the same, hovering around 600-700 Mbps same room/ 300-400 Mbps over a wall, despite all the hype about WiFi 6, Wave 2, and other marketing gimmicks.

roniegh
just joined

Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:01 pm

Honestly, this is the worst piece of hardware I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. I've spent 20 years working in IT, and this device takes the cake for having the most convoluted control interface I've ever seen for a home or small business device.

The interface itself looks like it was ripped straight from the late 90s, and the configuration process is as counterintuitive as it gets. And the icing on the cake of this dreadful experience? It doesn't even work with the default configuration.

Before this, I was using multiple Apple Airport Extremes, and after years of uptime, I've practically forgotten where they're located in my apartment. This new AX2, however, has proven to be utterly useless. It's brought no tangible benefits over a device that's six years its senior. The speed's roughly the same, hovering around 600-700 Mbps same room/ 300-400 Mbps over a wall, despite all the hype about WiFi 6, Wave 2, and other marketing gimmicks.
Exactly same experience here. I had no issues whatsoever with my old Apple Airport Extreme while my brand new Mikrotik hAP ax3 has to be restarted everyday due to its wifi issues.

I opened a support ticket and here is their answer:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting MikroTik Support.

We are working on fixes for this issue. Unfortunately, at this time, there are no logs or packet captures that can be done from the customer side that would provide us with more information. We are evaluating possible fixes now.

Best regards,
Guntis G.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:38 pm

Imagine if you had to use it as part of your War effort.......... :-(((
Price points are great, but only if one has a reliable, stable product, speed is the least of my concerns of the three.......
My ax3 is dormant/comatose until a firmware release worthy of consideration is released.

inteq

Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:22 pm

In the same boat.
But is seems with any ax product.
Very good signal, yet constant disconnects
With a cAPGi-5HaxD2HaxD
Untitled.png
later edit: only a reboot will fix the issue. Disabling/enabling the WIFI interfaces does not fix it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:08 pm

What version is it you are using ?
7.10.2 resolved that problem for most

inteq

Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:53 pm

Everything was good for about 10 days.
Today it started to misbehave.
A reboot fixed it for now. For how long, nobody knows

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:52 pm

I've had good luck with 7.11beta6 on my cAP ax, up over 3 weeks now with no problems.
 uptime: 3w1d9h58m21s
                  version: 7.11beta6 (development)
               build-time: Jul/18/2023 11:06:26
         factory-software: 7.7
              free-memory: 608.5MiB
             total-memory: 928.0MiB
                      cpu: ARM64
                cpu-count: 4
            cpu-frequency: 864MHz
                 cpu-load: 0%
           free-hdd-space: 95.4MiB
          total-hdd-space: 128.5MiB
  write-sect-since-reboot: 868
         write-sect-total: 166778
               bad-blocks: 0%
        architecture-name: arm64
               board-name: cAP ax
                 platform: MikroTik

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10 pm

So far so good for me, except small problem with AC getting sa querry timeouts every 2-3 minutes for few days. Right now i think is good but i will continue to monitor situation.

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:22 pm

So far so good for me, except small problem with AC getting sa querry timeouts every 2-3 minutes for few days. Right now i think is good but i will continue to monitor situation.
I have 1 device that jumps between 5G and 2.4G on the same AP a hAP ax2, drives me nuts but I'm pretty sure it's a duff wifi device.. very old now.
I'll post the output to some txt files below!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:13 pm

When I was on 7.11beta5 I had no problems whatsoever, when I updated to 7.11rc1 my downstairs air conditioner started having a problem with connecting to WiFi, every 2-3 minutes i got disconnected, SA query timeout.

AP is on shelf, AC on the wall, 3 meters apart. Sent supout to the support. Right now I can see that amount of errors reduced.

inteq

Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:50 am

Updated to 7.11rc4
Same problems after a while.
Right after reboot everything seems fine.
Untitled.png
Removed the new AX AP and installed back the old CAP AC XL = absolutely no issues.
This AX stuff is a letter behind beta and should have not been released.

twinsen
just joined

Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:16 pm

I have cAP ax. Issue is almost similar. One Android has absolutely no issues (Samsung S20+), while another Samsung S23+ Ultra works, but when leaving home and back it says "Incorrect password" on home WiFi. But tap on that network and poof, it's connected again. I use only WPA2, as on WPA3 I was not able to connect at all. Could it be something like short password? I have 9 characters, should be enough. On the other hand, all home appliances like fridge, wash machine or other 2,4GHz things or Thermomix work perfectly. Just that one phone... I use wifiwave2 and 7.12rc now. The main unit is RB5009.

Guscht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:51 pm

Any news regarding this issue? Fired up my cAPax after ROS 7.13 came up, works for a random time really good.
Than the game with "connected" / "disconnected" every few seconds came up. Only whit my Samsung S22, a old Samsung S8 works fine...

After a reboot it works again. Should I schedule a "/system reboot" every night or so...
Really annoying, I know why I dont deploy MT WLAN sh....t in my work enviroment.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 195442.jpg

labanauskas
just joined

Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:43 am

Hello, I also have problem with my hAP ax². All wireless devices work fine, but Samsung S21 Ultra stops to load pages. Disconnecting and connecting again solves the problem. Using latest BETA. Same with the stable one.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:22 pm

Guscht,

Would you accept that if you were a client?

It's really strange to me how people just constantly apologize for Mikrotik's wifi issues. Then they come up with every work around under the sun to keep the poor connection working.

Do other manufacturers cost more? Probably.

But the products I use are supposed to be a solution. Not a CAUSE OF ISSUES. We have a name for that at work: "Don't bid."

Would I absolutely love to use caps-man? Sure! The interface and reporting was awesome. But the reporting was also making it painfully obvious Mikrotik wireless was the problem.

Since switching back to our other Wifi manufactures... We are back to where we used to be. Design, install, configure, and forget.

We have Ruckus WAPs that are still holding on at 10 years of deployment. Think about that... The restaurant has relied on that WiFi for 10 years day in and day out. Who cares if it was $500 back then?

We have had only a handful of calls for that location. Not single one was about the wifi.

Now our caps-man installs... Are pretty much the opposite.

ableryma
just joined

Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:09 pm

I have the same issue in two separate offices using the Hap Ax2 router. Some devices regularly disconnect for a few seconds. I never had this issue with my previous routers.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Get in an look at the logs.

I saw a bunch of arp DHCP conflicts. But I think those are specific to the wireless vendor.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:22 pm

>Honestly, this is the worst piece of hardware I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. I've spent 20 years working in IT, and this device takes the cake for having the most convoluted control interface I've ever seen for a home or small business device.

I wish I'd read that before Christmas before I bought one. Latest updates, small home dev network. Been up for 4 days. Wondered why my laptop felt sluggish - connected at 2.4GHz. No devices connected at 5GHz. Restarted wireless interfaces and it came back.

andresl11111
just joined

Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:06 pm

Pretty much the same experience. 5G wifi becomes unusable every day or two, 2.4G is too noisy or unstable for some other reason.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:21 pm

>Honestly, this is the worst piece of hardware I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. I've spent 20 years working in IT, and this device takes the cake for having the most convoluted control interface I've ever seen for a home or small business device.

I wish I'd read that before Christmas before I bought one. Latest updates, small home dev network. Been up for 4 days. Wondered why my laptop felt sluggish - connected at 2.4GHz. No devices connected at 5GHz. Restarted wireless interfaces and it came back.
Don't know how many threads I have told you in...
Mikrotik routing, absolutely!
Mikrotik client serving wifi... PICK ANOTHER VENDOR!

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:39 pm

I'm using hAP ax2 for 1 year+ now, currently running 7.13.3 ROS and routerboard firmware.

800Mbps upload/download for single client benchmarking. Works fine with multiple clients. I'm using FQ_Codel for interface queues to control bufferbloat.

Chances you have some improper bridge/vlan config (as much as I sound like a broken record, MikroTik needs to address this config confusion of bridge/vlans because most people just end up misconfiguring and blame the product).

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:43 pm

Not everyone has the same experience when it comes to MikroTik WiFi. I have had Cisco, Ubiquiti and Grandstream and recently I returned to MikroTik. The family is happy, and thus so am I. Rockstable, using the wifi-qcom-ac driver. But again, that is just me...

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:42 pm

When you work in IT networking sector for a living you typically don't ever see home devices. Probably even not SOHO devices. So pretty easy to "win" this cake. 😂

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:36 pm

I didn't write that :-) Although I have come back from holiday and the 5GHz interface has disappeared again on my ax2.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:29 pm

Not everyone has the same experience when it comes to MikroTik WiFi. I have had Cisco, Ubiquiti and Grandstream and recently I returned to MikroTik. The family is happy, and thus so am I. Rockstable, using the wifi-qcom-ac driver. But again, that is just me...
I have the whole house running on that XE3-4. I turned the 6Ghz Radio back into a 5GHZ radio. But capacity in and around the house takes full advantage.

My wifi calls are better than when I was on Ruckus. Speedtests are lower... but connectivity appears better.

andresl11111
just joined

Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:48 pm

Is there a cheat sheet for home user wifi setup? One hint I just got is DHCP lease time. The default conf is 10 sec, which is not optimal for home use. Increased to 23h, which was the maximum in UI, and let's see what happens. But there may be many other small things I can change, just don't have an idea about.

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:12 pm

According to /system/default-configuration/print the lease-time for defconf-dhcp-server is "10m". You probably confused with "10s".

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:54 pm

Still too short.
At home I use
Personal network 1d
Iot and guest 4h

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:58 pm

I am not aware of any downsides of having 10m lease time. But I am not a professional.

andresl11111
just joined

Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:33 pm

According to /system/default-configuration/print the lease-time for defconf-dhcp-server is "10m". You probably confused with "10s".
Yes, my bad, thanks for clarification.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:55 pm

I am not aware of any downsides of having 10m lease time. But I am not a professional.
Not really bad per se but each lease renewal will write something to flash.
And if it is not needed, why use short leases ?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:51 pm

If memory serves me well Apple devices had some issues with that.
I have the whole house running on that XE3-4. I turned the 6Ghz Radio back into a 5GHZ radio. But capacity in and around the house takes full advantage.

My wifi calls are better than when I was on Ruckus. Speedtests are lower... but connectivity appears better.
Comparing Apples with pears....as we say in the Netherlands. It's around 10 times more expensive than i.e. a cAP ax (which indeed doesn't have 6E).

andresl11111
just joined

Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:11 am

If memory serves me well Apple devices had some issues with that.
Indeed, phones seem to disconnect when screen is turned off. Early to tell, but increasing the lease time may have solved/mitigated this particular issue.

However, I still needed a restart to connect to 5G network this morning, and the last restart was yesterday morning. So, like 24h and I believe there should be a better option to manage the home network.
I have 5G and 2.4G in separate SSID's.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 am

Can you post you config?
/export file=anynameyoulike
Make sure to remove serial and any other private information.

andresl11111
just joined

Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:10 am

Can you post you config?
/export file=anynameyoulike
Make sure to remove serial and any other private information.
Sure
# 2024-01-30 10:59:14 by RouterOS 7.13.2
# software id = ZXEY-STCI
#
# model = C52iG-5HaxD2HaxD
# serial number = xxxxxxxxxx
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge \
    port-cost-mode=short
/interface wifi
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac \
    configuration.country=Estonia .mode=ap .ssid=LT82-5G disabled=no \
    security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk .connect-priority=0
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac \
    configuration.country=Estonia .mode=ap .ssid=MikroTik-D219A5 disabled=no \
    security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk .connect-priority=0
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
/ip kid-control
add mon="" name=XXXX
/ip pool
add name=default-dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=default-dhcp interface=bridge lease-time=23h name=defconf
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2 internal-path-cost=10 \
    path-cost=10
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether3 internal-path-cost=10 \
    path-cost=10
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether4 internal-path-cost=10 \
    path-cost=10
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether5 internal-path-cost=10 \
    path-cost=10
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wifi1 internal-path-cost=10 \
    path-cost=10
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=wifi2 internal-path-cost=10 \
    path-cost=10
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=LAN
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether1 list=WAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=\
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf interface=ether1
/ip dhcp-server lease
add address=192.168.88.250 client-id="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" mac-address=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \
    server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.252 client-id=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx mac-address=\
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.229 client-id=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mac-address=\
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx server=defconf
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment=defconf dns-server=192.168.88.1 gateway=\
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 comment=defconf name=router.lan
/ip firewall filter
add action=jump chain=forward comment="jump to kid-control rules" \
    jump-target=kid-control
add action=accept chain=input comment=\
    "defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=\
    established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=\
    invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
    "defconf: accept to local loopback (for CAPsMAN)" dst-address=127.0.0.1
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" \
    in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" \
    ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" \
    ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" \
    connection-state=established,related hw-offload=yes
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=\
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" \
    connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment=\
    "defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat \
    connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" \
    ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
/ip kid-control device
add mac-address=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx name=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx user=xxxxxxxxxxx
/ipv6 firewall address-list
add address=::/128 comment="defconf: unspecified address" list=bad_ipv6
add address=::1/128 comment="defconf: lo" list=bad_ipv6
add address=xxxxxx::/10 comment="defconf: site-local" list=bad_ipv6
add address=::xxxxx:0.0.0.0/96 comment="defconf: ipv4-mapped" list=bad_ipv6
add address=::/96 comment="defconf: ipv4 compat" list=bad_ipv6
add address=100::/64 comment="defconf: discard only " list=bad_ipv6
add address=xxxx:db8::/32 comment="defconf: documentation" list=bad_ipv6
add address=xxxx:10::/28 comment="defconf: ORCHID" list=bad_ipv6
add address=xxxx::/16 comment="defconf: 6bone" list=bad_ipv6
/ipv6 firewall filter
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=\
    invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMPv6" protocol=\
    icmpv6
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept UDP traceroute" port=\
    33434-33534 protocol=udp
    "defconf: accept DHCPv6-Client prefix delegation." dst-port=546 protocol=\
    udp src-address=fe80::/10
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept IKE" dst-port=500,4500 \
    protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ipsec AH" protocol=\
    ipsec-ah
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ipsec ESP" protocol=\
    ipsec-esp
    "defconf: accept all that matches ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=drop chain=input comment=\
    "defconf: drop everything else not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=\
    !LAN
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" \
    connection-state=invalid
    "defconf: drop packets with bad src ipv6" src-address-list=bad_ipv6
    "defconf: drop packets with bad dst ipv6" dst-address-list=bad_ipv6
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: rfc4890 drop hop-limit=1" \
    hop-limit=equal:1 protocol=icmpv6
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept ICMPv6" protocol=\
    icmpv6
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept HIP" protocol=139
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept IKE" dst-port=\
    500,4500 protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept ipsec AH" protocol=\
    ipsec-ah
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept ipsec ESP" protocol=\
    ipsec-esp
    "defconf: accept all that matches ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
    "defconf: drop everything else not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=\
    !LAN
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Tallinn
/system note
set show-at-login=no
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
Last edited by holvoetn on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code quotes for readability

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:41 am

From the basic configuration is See these differences:
/interface/wifi
set wifi1 disabled=no configuration.country=Latvia configuration.ssid=MikroTik security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk security.passphrase=8-63_characters
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac configuration.country=Estonia .mode=ap .ssid=LT82-5G disabled=no security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk .connect-priority=0
  • channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac -> makes sense, just skip these channels
  • security.passphrase=8-63_characters -> did you remove that from your configuration, or is it not set?
  • .connect-priority=0 -> did you set that on purpose?

andresl11111
just joined

Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:12 pm

From the basic configuration is See these differences:
/interface/wifi
set wifi1 disabled=no configuration.country=Latvia configuration.ssid=MikroTik security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk security.passphrase=8-63_characters
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac configuration.country=Estonia .mode=ap .ssid=LT82-5G disabled=no security.authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk .connect-priority=0
  • channel.skip-dfs-channels=10min-cac -> makes sense, just skip these channels
  • security.passphrase=8-63_characters -> did you remove that from your configuration, or is it not set?
  • .connect-priority=0 -> did you set that on purpose?
To be honest, I do not recall changing any of the three settings you mentioned.

Mesquite

Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:08 pm

I'm using hAP ax2 for 1 year+ now, currently running 7.13.3 ROS and routerboard firmware.

800Mbps upload/download for single client benchmarking. Works fine with multiple clients. I'm using FQ_Codel for interface queues to control bufferbloat.

Chances you have some improper bridge/vlan config (as much as I sound like a broken record, MikroTik needs to address this config confusion of bridge/vlans because most people just end up misconfiguring and blame the product).
Darknate, any reason to choose between cake and fq-code?
Testing on my two wan connections, it would appear buffer bloat is something that is always there to some extent.
If one has a reasonable CPU, do you think at least 7.13.3 and beyond it should almost be a defacto default setting (having fq-codel or cake enabled)??
I see no harm in it?

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:35 pm

Comparing Apples with pears....as we say in the Netherlands. It's around 10 times more expensive than i.e. a cAP ax (which indeed doesn't have 6E).
I'd have to sedate some of my clients to pay over £800 for an access point! I assume it makes the tea too.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:53 pm

CAP AX DOES NOT HAVE 6E. So it's closer to my XV2-21X.
$130 vs $388

Not with my XE3-4. Which has
2.4 2x2
5.0 2x2
5.8/6 4x4
But that's around $982

Next up... What sort of client count can we expect on cap AX?

The whole point of Wifi6 was density. Which has always been the weakness of the Tik radios.

They actually say 128 clients on the outdoor unit's video.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:59 pm

I'm not sure if this is related to this issue, but I see what I think is an unusually high number of "Link down" counts. I've got private 2G and 5G interfaces plus two guest interfaces on a virtual VLAN. I rebooted my router yesterday and already I see the following link downs:

private-2g: 2
private-5g: 16
guest-2g: 0
guest-5g: 4

Now I do get radar events on the 5G channel and I've got a scheduled script every hour to try putting it back to 5500. But radar events are logged and there was been just one since the reboot.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:38 pm

If not wrong, this indicate that 16 times you didn't have any client connected to this interface so interface became inactive thus link down count goes up

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:50 pm

Ahh, that makes sense, I had no idea the link would go down if nothing is connected! The only things connected to the private 5G are my mobile and laptop. Laptop is off most of the time and I'm guessing the mobile can disconnect for a period of time, esp. overnight. So link downs not that worrying then :-) My IoT devices like the Echo Dots, plugs etc. are all connected to the 2G interface.

Later - top marks. Turned my mobile Wi-Fi off and link downs went up by one.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:10 pm

Yea, you can see that wifi interface which has no connected devices became inactive. It's same thing if you disconnect eth cable from port.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:24 am

Yea, you can see that wifi interface which has no connected devices became inactive. It's same thing if you disconnect eth cable from port.
Yup...

Italics in winbox

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:27 am

I suspect my misunderstanding here is possibly a terminology/language issue. In the UK, when something is down, it's typically broken. The server has gone down, the WiFi is down, my banking website is down etc. I would suggest simply changing Winbox to say idle instead of down would be less confusing. The link isn't down, it's simply idle as no clients are connected.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:32 am

Disconnected ethernet cable is different. That port then is down. No devices connected to WiFi isn't really down is it? Idle is IMO a better term.

whatever

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:38 am

Well, from a networking point of view the interface is actually down like an unplugged cable. Unless you manually label it as edge port (or use ros 7.14+), it will even go through STP listening/learning before forwarding any traffic to the bridge once the first client connects.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:41 am

Disconnected ethernet cable is different. That port then is down. No devices connected to WiFi isn't really down is it? Idle is IMO a better term.
Think about it, what is wifi ? Wireless connection to client device instead of the wired one, so if there is no connected devices there is no link and its reported as down and inactive.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:43 am

There is a setting where you can disable this behavior. Only cli.

Don't know by memory, mkx mentioned it not too long ago. So should turn up fast using search.
Disable running check or so.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:55 am

Think about it, what is wifi ? Wireless connection to client device instead of the wired one, so if there is no connected devices there is no link and its reported as down and inactive.
Down and inactive are two different things so you're sort of agreeing with me :D Down clearly is confusing even if it only confused me :? Further confusion - if I disable the interface (so the link really is down), the link downs doesn't change. So given this, then changing it to say "Link idle" would work IMO.

ToTheFull
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm

I have a wifi bridge connected to the 5G and a printer connected to the 2.4G to stop mine idling down!
It was explained to me in the context of, well if it was in station mode then you would want to know if it is down if I recall.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:27 pm

Disable running check or so.
This was mentioned on the post I made about what I thought were frequent downs. Need to try it.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:05 pm

Down and inactive are two different things so you're sort of agreeing with me :D Down clearly is confusing even if it only confused me :? Further confusion - if I disable the interface (so the link really is down), the link downs doesn't change. So given this, then changing it to say "Link idle" would work IMO.
Yea, agree to disagree :lol: I understand you but in this case, link go down and interface is inactive because nothing is connected to that interface.

andresl11111
just joined

Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 pm

Getting rather unusable, 5G just keeps getting to the status where it cannot be connected. Yesterday even had to unplug the router from power, simple reboot did not help any more.

So, in the state where it was not possible to connect to 5G, removed the "WPA3 PSK" option from Security settings, leaving only "WPA2 PSK" and was able to reconnect without rebooting the router.

Santi70
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:05 pm

I don't know what to expect, sometimes it spends up to 24 hours connected and other times, as you can see, it is an iPhone 14 pro
ip.png