MikroTik App

uCZBpmK6pwoZg7LR
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

VPN4 tunnels limit.

Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:19 pm

Good day/morning/night.

I have most probably quite weird question. Do exist some kind of limitation in mikrotik about amount active unique VPN4 tunnels in network.
I have a tiny mpls based network where i have quite a lot of VPN4 tunnels and i cannot pass more than 200 active unique VPN4 tunnels.
What i mean by unique. If i create RD and add extra new RT then on another side of tunnel routes does not appear.
Why i think that exist some kind of limitation . I added completely new mikrotik added it it MPLS network and started BGP and configured BGP for vpn4 on it and connected CPE to fresh bgp which i just installed and tunnel started to work ie VPN4 routes appeared at routing tables. When i return CPE to main BGP server where all vpn4 reflection happen routes do not appear in routing tables.

So i have a question do somebody have quite big network with more than 100-200 mpls enabled mikrotiks ?
Do somebody have more than 200 unique vpn4 tunnels ? does everything works fine ? may be best practice ?

bonus questions :
due to specific requirements i forced to use hub - spoke design. OSPF is not very good in such designs. but RIP is much worse. Static is not an option due to size of network. Due to it i have huge amount of p2p routes inside main. i am expect next 2 - 3 years extra 300 - 400 routers . but i feel that i almost hit ospf limitation because of size network. I started already to create bundles in another ospf areas but not see a lot of positive dynamic. Problem which i got that i cannot aggregate between areas mpls enabled routes (routes start to work with wrong label and i loose convergence) . may be i configured something wrong. I will be very helpfull to get some kind of advice. information what is see in internet in most case limited small lab design which do not have any relation to reality. The best doc what i see was about building big ospf network ( cisco related).

hknet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: VPN4 tunnels limit.

Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:42 pm

I'm not exactly sure if I get your setup by this description.
Basically I do understand your have a route reflector offering all vpnv4 routes to its clients, right?
To get those routes into your routing table you will have to configure your RDs in /routing/bgp/vpn/ (v7) and import those routes using the correct RD (and obvisouly your correct vrf).