Community discussions

MikroTik App

jvanhambelgium
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Container + ROSE-SMB storage

Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:24 pm

Is there anyone that can explain me why the extraction of a container-image fails across a ROSE storage point ?
Running the latest 7.11 on RB5009
So I've mapped an SMB on my NAS which is accessible fine (because I see files being created on it)

Screenshot from 2023-08-20 20-17-12.png
I've also adapted the config so the "pull" folder is also located on the SMB-mount. WHILE pulling the container I see a file on there growing as it is downloaded
Screenshot from 2023-08-20 20-18-18.png

I then try to deploy a some container which is supposed to be extracted to the SMB-storage

/container/add remote-image=emqx/emqx:latest interface=veth3 root-dir=smb-172-29-45-251-Mikrotik/emqx start-on-boot=yes logging=yes

Observations :

1/ On the NAS - the folder "emqx" is effectively created (the user I used to make the SMB-mount has Full Control on the NAS and can do anything on that share
2/ I see some "bin" folder being created and then suddenly "error" .... failed to extract bla,bla,bla.

Doing the same command on USB storage-point happily continues all the way....

Is *anyone* here running a container on a remote ROSE-managed storage point ?

How the heck am I supposed to investigate this ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Container + ROSE-SMB storage

Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:45 pm

I've only used NFS as the pull destination – so generally works. But that's to another Mikrotik running ROSE as server (e.g. RB5009s as NFS clients to RB1100AHx4 ROSE NFS server)... And, since I'm worrier, each RB5009 get it's own share on the server, to avoid any potential for multiple writers.

And how compatible the ROSE clients are with non-ROSE servers – that's where I'd imagine there could be issues.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:47 pm

You might also try adding a "/" in front of the pull address. Not putting a lot of hope, but worth a shot, simple test...

I cannot recall exactly when/where, but I've seen some randomness with when a "/" is required and when it's not in RouterOS paths...

jvanhambelgium
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:01 pm

The "pull" works fine. I see the folder being created (the first time after I alter the path) and I see a growing *.gz file while it is being downloaded...then suddenly everything stop and it removed from the NAS and it throws an "error". Usually 1 or 2 "layers" are processed, then it stops.
In the past I made such SMB "mounts" and wrote a lot of logging to SMB so I think it should work "as-such". The only thing I cannot understand why the extraction of containers would be so different....

Yeah, I normally *only* use NFS here, the SMB was really because NFS just does not work on my Synology NAS
The same story for iSCSI. I made a small iSCSI-target on the Synology but ROSE seems unable to use it...
I'm glad at least SMB works.

Really, Mikrotik often throws some RouterOS functionality in the field "half baked" (or less) and that is really frustrating.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:31 pm

The Synology's are pretty popular, it should work. But also not surprised SMB is not working well.

I did test it on MacOS somewhat recently and it seen it "hang" the disk on Mac a few times (and didn't work when it first came out at all). So gave up on SMB, and don't really need regularly a share on Mac from ROSE – although SMB working be nice since you can't mount NFS from Finder on Mac if you do (e.g. smb:// in "Connect to Server") but NO nfs://).

All I know is I've avoided using ROSE for anything but RouterOS to RouterOS...and NFS seems to be stable. But NFS working well, doesn't really help if you need SMB.

But if your asking if sound like a bug, I'd agree ;).