Community discussions

MikroTik App

mark12
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik CHR AWS Disaster Recovery Plan

Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:48 am

Hi Team,

Just wondering what peoples DR plans are for Mikrotik CHR in AWS if they lose connection to their instance?

Example I tried to migrate from one chr to another by backup and restore, after reboot I couldn't connect anymore and there is no console option like with a Windows or Linux device to get access to the interface.

Or example if I make an epic mistake and can no longer get connected.

I was think about setting up a windows box on the same LAN in AWS? Is there a better way?

I know there is a safe mode option but I'd like a backup plan to the back if you know what I mean.

Any ideas? Ta

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik CHR AWS Disaster Recovery Plan

Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:30 pm

Hopefully you figured out that restoring a backup, also restores all IP and mac-addresses ... so in AWS that is almost certainly a good way to lock yourself out...

I'd say using the EC2 key-pair used to install AWS CHR, isn't a bad plan... It's restoring a backup from a DIFFERENT instance on a NEW one that's the DR inducing situation IMO.

Bring up a windows instance, with winbox is option too. I do exactly this with VMWare for CHR, with a windows instance on the VMWare, so Layer2 access to CHR should be possible. At AWS, while cost something to bring up a Windows EC2, you'd only need to bring it up if DR/failure... (or perhaps a few pennies a month to save the disk once winbox/etc was setup)