Community discussions

MikroTik App

unhuzpt
just joined
Topic Author

Capsman and cAP Lite - help needed

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm

Hello all!

Kindly ask your support on my current issue.
Have rb5009+2xcap ax managed by capsman with auto provisioning and working perfect.
Now i bought a cAP Lite, upgraded to last version 7.14.3 and configured the new rules for provisioning in the rb5009.
No capsman is running on the cap lite and there i can only find the package "wireless" to install -and is.

I configure cap on the cap lite on the wifi menu with the discovery interface and a local created datapath and right after the cap lite is in the capsman of rb5009 as remote cap and gets the certificate.
After that i never see the radios from cap lite in capsman neither in cap lite it shows managed by capsman.

If in cap lite i also configure cap in the wireless tables menu, capsman in rb5009 continue to show the cap lite but still no radio and also in the cap lite i see the wifi interface as managed by capsman even if it's own capsman is not enabled.

Can anyone please help me understand if i do something wrong or if this even not possible?
Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

unhuzpt
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Capsman and cAP Lite - help needed

Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 am

Kind bump :)

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:19 pm

cAP Lite uses the wireless package and is not supported by the new wifi package (included since 7.12 if memory serves me...)
To manage that device, you would need to install the wireless package on the RB5009 and configure (the old) CAPsMAN. You would have two CAPsMAN's running (which in itself is not a problem).

unhuzpt
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm

Hi there erlinden!

Thank you for your reply.
I was confused as i tried to read all in the forum and got the idea that in fact the new wifi-qcom was compatible and able to manage the previous version. And as i have it in the remote aps i was like i made some error on the config... :)

I am going right now to install the other package on the rb5009 that acts as capsman server and see if all is working :)
Specially that i just got the second cap lite i ordered!

Thanks a lot.

unhuzpt
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:39 pm

cAP Lite uses the wireless package and is not supported by the new wifi package (included since 7.12 if memory serves me...)
To manage that device, you would need to install the wireless package on the RB5009 and configure (the old) CAPsMAN. You would have two CAPsMAN's running (which in itself is not a problem).
Ok so what happens:
Installing the "wireless" package disables the "wifi-qcom" one. I do not really know if this impacts anything on the cap ax aps i have, but seems their config is applied and working as before.
Edit: with old wireless package seems AX is not available.

But still i do not see the ap lite radio in the rb5009 wifi radios list and the config i created to provision it is not applied.
Even if the cap lite is saying managed by capsman.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Capsman and cAP Lite - help needed  [SOLVED]

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 pm

CAPsMAN old style:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/CAPsMAN

CAPsMAN ax (and wifi-qcom-ac) style:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... iFiCAPsMAN

The RB5009 doesn't need the wifi-qcom driver, as CAPsMAN (new style) is part of the RouterOS package.

If the cAP Lite is the only old wireless driver device, you can (perhaps better) consider configuring it manually instead of being managed through CAPsMAN.

unhuzpt
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:02 pm

Ok :)

I think i got it. I was confused about all the cAP related thingies like packages, models, drivers, etc...
Yeah now i got it going for the cap lite units and after going to re-enable the cAP AX ones.
Yeah running parallel capsman is the way and seems I finally got it.

Thanks for your time and help!

unhuzpt
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 pm

CAPsMAN old style:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/CAPsMAN

CAPsMAN ax (and wifi-qcom-ac) style:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... iFiCAPsMAN

The RB5009 doesn't need the wifi-qcom driver, as CAPsMAN (new style) is part of the RouterOS package.

If the cAP Lite is the only old wireless driver device, you can (perhaps better) consider configuring it manually instead of being managed through CAPsMAN.
Sorry but there is something here i ask you maybe you know :)

Why the capsman for the cAP Lite show the interfaces and the rx/tx values and the capsman for the cAP AX do not?
Is missing some config?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 pm

Bug or feature of wifiwave2 capsman.
Pick your preferred label :lol:

jaclaz
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 pm

Microsoft would call that "by design" :lol:

unhuzpt
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:15 pm

Microsoft would call that "by design" :lol:
After googling it and giving you the same response that you googled.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: